Thread: Opinions on Sharpening Router Bits?

Opinions on Sharpening Router Bits?

Is it really a viable option, especially for bits with a specific diameter such as 3/4 or 1/2 inch? How can they be sharpened without affecting their diameter?
    Dennis

I send them to a sharpening service. I’ve never had much luck other than maybe flush trim bits.

Profile bits are particularly difficult. Specific diameter straight bits can be affected if you remove enough material.

Diamond paddle on the flat side. Takes a long time to measurably reduce the diameter.

I've had plenty of straight bits sharpened. They do lose a little diameter.

Blog Entries
    I have a collection of 'undersize' straight bits that have been sharpened and still find good use. Certainly any profile will return altered if only slightly so identical re-use will not be an option. At $5 to $15 for a new bit versus $20 to $100 for a new one? I send mine in by the flat-rate box full to maximize the benefit. Most of mine are Whiteside and their prices for their own bits are very reasonable. Everything else goes to Snook's Saw in Oregon. Great service from great folks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's good to have some single flute bits ,they are much faster cutters. I've worked in commercial shops that had never tried them.

The wonderful thing about using relative sizes is.. that router bit is just sharp.. not undersized.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll give it a try with some of my 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 bit. Most of the time I'm planing stock to fit so a few thousandths won't make a difference. I bought a new 3/4 bit the other day and it was $23. Getting more use out of one for $6 sounds good.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    I failed to mention that I touch mine up with small diamond paddles many times before they finally go to be sharpened. You have to touch up when performance falloff first get noticeable. If you wait for full-on dull, it's off to the pros.

router-bit-honing.jpg

Equal strokes on each face.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler