Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Router table from 80/20?

  1. #1

    Router table from 80/20?

    I recently, impulsively bought an Incra CleanSweep router enclosure, thinking it would be a miracle cure after twenty years of laboriously vacuuming up messes underneath my router table after every use. No doubt it will work great and be worth every penny, but I realized only after the fact that it's not compatible with my existing shop-made router table due to its form factor and the presence of the collection hose. Ergo, I now need to build a new router table base. I could just do this out of MDF and solid wood, like my existing one, and that would be totally fine. But I'm intrigued by the idea of using 80/20 aluminum components to construct the frame--partly for the coolness factor and also by way of learning a different way of doing things. I realize Incra and others sell router table packages, but I'm not interested in that, as I want to keep the Woodpeckers tabletop and lift and Benchdog fence that I have, which work great.

    So my question: Has anyone built a router table, or something similar, out of 80/20? What profiles/dimensions and components did you use? Is there any issue of rigidity or racking?



  2. #2
    I recently started working with 80/20 aluminum extrusion. I used the 10 series 1” x 1” x 1” as a fence for one of my saw extensions. This is the smallest diameter 80/20 that I am aware of but it is very ridged, straight and flat. So far I like it a lot but I am struggling with finding ways of attaching the top piece of melamine on my extension stand that I built to the 10 series 80/20 fences. They make what are basically L brackets for them but they are very difficult to keep in place as you are screwing the brackets down and it is for this reason that I haven’t got my saw extensions finished up. I know you said that you were going to keep your existing fence, but what I am going to probably end up doing on mine for the fence (saw extensions not router table) is route some grooves in the melamine top and inlay some T tracks one on each end and have my fence run perpendicular to and mounting on the T tracks so that I have some adjustability and can dial in my fence to blade squareness perfectly.

  3. #3
    You can get T-track from Misumi as well. It has the advantage that the sides are square. Last time I looked at 80-20 the sides had a small amount of inward bend to them, which helps retain screws well in a high-vibration environment, but might not be the best if you're using it as a square fence edge. Misumi will let you configure parts and order it online, and I think it even comes in 20mm.

    You can use their online configurator tool to build a box the way you want it and they'll figure out all of the interior lengths and such.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    586
    I recently finished building my router table using the Incra components, including the CleanSweep housing. I don't know if the four vertical pieces of the Incra router stand are 8020, but they are extruded aluminum and cut to length. My table is 24x36 inches, but I don't see why your Woodpeckers table wouldn't fit on the Incra stand.






  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I recently finished building my router table using the Incra components, including the CleanSweep housing. I don't know if the four vertical pieces of the Incra router stand are 8020, but they are extruded aluminum and cut to length. My table is 24x36 inches, but I don't see why your Woodpeckers table wouldn't fit on the Incra stand.
    I didn't know Incra sold the stand separately, but now see that they do: around $200 with the wheels. Do you think the stand would be sturdy and stiff enough to use absent the cabinet infill? Or does it rely on having some kind of cabinet and panels to prevent racking? ...And thanks for the pics above and on the other thread; they are very helpful in understanding how the collection hose is mounted in practice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stone (CT) View Post
    I didn't know Incra sold the stand separately, but now see that they do: around $200 with the wheels. Do you think the stand would be sturdy and stiff enough to use absent the cabinet infill? Or does it rely on having some kind of cabinet and panels to prevent racking? ...And thanks for the pics above and on the other thread; they are very helpful in understanding how the collection hose is mounted in practice.
    David, I used the router stand without the cabinet infill for a few months. It is sturdy and I never noticed any racking while using or moving it. I built the cabinet because I was wanted a place to keep all of the router related items and the space between the vertical uprights seemed to be a waste of space. I store my router table in the next room when I'm not using it, and the 24x36 inch table was the largest table that would maneuver around the shop and fit through the doors.

    Here is a closeup of the internal duct routing. I used a 100mm flange on the inside and a ported flange on the outside that also has a 62mm fitting for the fence connection.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cambridge Vermont
    Posts
    1,403
    Decades ago I worked in a glass shop. One of my main jobs was to make the aluminum frames for commercial buildings and installing them. 80/20 seams to have name recognition but there's other brands that make extruded aluminum parts. At the time I had about a half dozen companies that we bought from. Most had almost everything you could think of. We even made custom sneeze guards and display cases. We even made environments for semiconductor equipment. The biggest problem is buying in small quantities can get expensive. Out stock lengths were 24' and we always saved the cut offs. A cabinet made from aluminum should be very rigid. I don't think you can beat that Incra cabinet for the price.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post

    Here is a closeup of the internal duct routing. I used a 100mm flange on the inside and a ported flange on the outside that also has a 62mm fitting for the fence connection.
    I'd never seen that fitting prior to your posts. It looks perfect for this application. Alas, it's shown as out of stock by Axminster. Hopefully, they'll get more soon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stone (CT) View Post
    I'd never seen that fitting prior to your posts. It looks perfect for this application. Alas, it's shown as out of stock by Axminster. Hopefully, they'll get more soon.
    Here is the Rockler part I used for the inside:

    https://www.rockler.com/4-universal-dust-port

    Here is a Rockler part similar to the Axminster port:

    https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-r...able-dual-port

    If you use the Rockler dual port, you will likely need two of the 4-inch universal ports.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Lebanon, TN
    Posts
    1,194
    I don't know if I'm a little too late to the party on this one.

    I bought the Woodpeckers Router table setup with stand. I later built myself a cabinet. That stand is gathering dust somewhere in my garage.

    If you are interested, and I can find it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    If you are interested, and I can find it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.
    I don't think the Woodpeckers stand would work in my application for a couple reasons, but thank you for such a generous offer!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Winterville, NC (eastern NC)
    Posts
    2,170
    I replaced my original plywood router cabinet with the Kreg stand, adding casters, and plywood sides, bottom and doors to make an enclosed unit. I have the Woodpeckers router enclosure connected to dust collection hoses and the original Incra top and fence. Something to consider.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •