Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackle Box Build Part 2 Done

Blog Entries

Tackle Box Build Part 2 Done

This is the second part of a fly tying station/tackle box build focused on breadboard front, top, hardware and finishing. First part of the build is in a separate post.

The front of the tackle box is hinged at the bottom of the case and folds down to act as a work surface. In the folded up positions, front is captured on all four sides by the carcass. I re-sawed, glued up a book matched panel for front. Here is using a long backsaw to saw the shoulders of the tenons that will hold the breadboard ends. For critical cuts on show surfaces like this, I use a paring chisel to establish the shoulder on marking knife line for the saw to ride in.

Planing cheeks of the tenons. I try and remove the bulk of the waste, shy of layout lines with shop made rabbit plane and cleanup with small, block rabbit plane. For me, tenons for breadboard ends requirement little extra attention to get uniform thickness and clean margins that will allow gap free fit at glue up.

Sawing out the waste to create the tenons. Clearly marking the waste was a hard learned lesson – you can guess how I learned it!

Fold-down front/breadboard ends are ½” thick which leaves little margin for error in chopping the mortises. Removing the bulk of the waste on the drill press and securely clamping the work piece help avoid disastrous potential blow out – I hate when that happens!

Was hard for me to wrap my head around positioning of the hinges to allow both internal fit of the front within the carcass and a flat surface level with the bottom of the chest when opened.

Design of the top is somewhat unique in my experience and one of my favorites for both strength and appearance. I stole this design from Chris Schwarz Anarchist Tool Chest. Basically an internal frame and panel surrounded by dovetailed aprons that will allow “dust seal” with top overlapping the bottom of the chest when closed.

Thickness of stock for frame and panel was approximately 5/8”, which means narrow M&T’s. Even though the tenons were very narrow and could have been easily created with rabbit planes, I prefer sawing with a fairly thick plated backsaw for speed and accuracy.

Sawing tennon shoulders at the bench hook with 16 PPI shop built backsaw.

Plowing the grooves in the frame and panel with my very finicky 60s era Record plow plane. I was having all kinds of trouble until I realized primary bevel on the blade was too steep leaving no clearance - oopps!

The groove is offset on the frame and panel to allow the panel to be proud above the frame. This creates extra strength because both but tongue and the top of the panel overlap the capturing groove.

Blog Entries
    With successful dry fit,

next step was creating bevel to “frame” top panel. I tend to use a lot of planes for this operation, particularly for a prominent showpiece like this with interlocking grain/figure. Establish the shoulders with marking gauge/knife and remove initial waste with large, fenced rabbit plane. A Jack removes bulk of the waste on corner and then smaller rabbit planes and scrapers finish up. I particularly like the cutting action of this Lee Nielsen fenced rabbit plane with skewed blade.

Dovetailing components to make the apron surrounding the top required some unique layout/dry fitting to ensure baselines of DTs were exactly equivalent to dimensions of the glued up frame and panel top.

After glue up/assembly, plowed a rabbit around all four sides of the top. Ideally this is supposed to leave small ¼” “lip” on the top that fits precisely within carcass walls – here’s two fingers crossed!

Lots of hardware on this piece – not exactly sure why - I guess I needed it. Hinges and flush folding pull for carcass front.

Blog Entries
    I installed latches to secure top and a small, spring-loaded bullet catch to hold the fold up front. At this point, after much hardware fussing, I thought I had everything licked – fit was good, reveals were tight/consistent and the Watco oil and spray varnish finish hadn’t gotten too beat up in the hardware assembly process – victory!

Unfortunately problems were just getting started. The bullet catch wasn’t holding the fold up front securely enough. I tried “adjusting” the catch plate with punch/hammer, superglue – no joy! Next I remove the bullet catch and added magnet and washer on corresponding front/case surfaces – had absolutely no effect.

Next I added a more robust, spring-loaded bullet catch. Only after mortising it into case lid did I realize the orientation was all wrong. The square end of the catch was intended to strike the detents, move forward allowing the spring-loaded detents to fill in the hollows spaces behind, retaining the front in place. That orientation wouldn’t work because there was a drawer in the way I tried to flip the strike 90° and file my own “detent hollows”. Yeah. In retrospect no way that was going to work! It was ultimately spared when the strike broke.

Finally, I resorted to a spring-loaded external latch (thanks Craig!). Filed a small piece of brass to act as a strike. In the process of hurrying to get this done minutes before the deadline, I drilled screw holes I drilled screw holes for the catch in the wrong place! I really hate when that happens!

In the end it was all solid but included some extra scars. Oh well at least I got it done in no one was hurt by tools flying through the shop that may or may not have been thrown in frustration.

Thanks for looking, Mike

Mike,

Working that thin stock I can imagine a few moments of speaking French. I used the same frame and panel for my shop tool chest but on a bigger scale than yours . Amazing work.

ken

Yes, amazing work. One day I hope to make something like this.
    You could probably make a killing selling these on fly fishing forums.

Awesome! Thanks for the quality pics too. I'll opine that your son does not know just how lucky he is.
    Last edited by Curt Putnam; 07-13-2020 at 9:29 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Turned out exceptional, Mike. Heirloom piece, for sure. I knew you’d figure out things to build when there is no more room in the house!

Question; what is that bronze/brass tool in the 12th picture...don’t recognize it.

Very nice. Love the way it turned out. Especially the top.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post

Question; what is that bronze/brass tool in the 12th picture...don’t recognize it.

Hi Phil, it's no wonder you can't recognize the tool – is a terrible picture. If I could rotated the picture 90° you would recognize as an old Stanley "side rabbit plane" – at least I think that's what it's called. It's used to trim the inside of dadoes/grooves. I added an aluminum right angle piece as a fence/stop.

I like to use frame and panel construction, and the concept of this tool really lends itself to that task – truing up the inside of grooves in frame to get a consistent reveal of the captured panel. I don't know any other cutting tool that's very effective for this job. This particular tool doesn't work very well – blades are really soft and don't hold much of an edge. Maybe someday I'll replace it with a modern equivalent with better blades.

Cheers, Mike

Great job.

Harold

Your son is doubly blessed. One to have a father which such skill who has made him tackle box he likely will hand-down to his son, daughter or maybe grand son or grand daughter someday; and two to have a fiance who is able to sweet talk you into such an endeavor.

As usual, fantastic craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing the build with us.

Thanks Mike. Don’t think I would have recognized it no matter how the picture was rotated. Not sure I’ve seen that particular plane before. Yes, seems very useful for that application.

Very nice piece. Love the scale and weight

Afraid My version just sits around....maybe hide a few papers inside if..
    finger rest.jpg
    hinged.jpg
    front view.jpg
    end panel.jpg
    top of lid.jpg
    Walnut frames, cherry raised panels all four sides, top is all walnut, Corners used a T&G glue joint.

Outstanding Mike and I agonized with you on catch installation all the way. I did. And I have plenty of previous experience with similar situations. End result is outstanding and will make a great gift to your son. Thanks for the show and tell.
    David