Thread: Outside storage

Outside storage

I’ve had a problem with outside storage of hardware and material storage, it being right on the road. The only place On the property for my gear is right on the road, but that invites prying eyes. So I built this fence to somewhat isolate the space. One of the best things is it eliminates the sight line from the road into that 8’ door. I have rarely opened it in the past, but not cooling the shop the flow through ventilation is great. I had quite a lot of the Core-ten siding left over so this gave me an opportunity to use it as well. Also, I got my first utility bill with the solar. We used 169 kWh, and produced 737. We may pull PG&E out of bankruptcy all by ourselves
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is great news on the PV panels! In my next house, i think i will absolutely invest in an array. At the moment, i currently pay a bit more to source my power via solar/wind. What do you figure the break even point to be?

I am very happy i live in a situation that i do. Just the other day i came downstairs through my basement shop and out the garage to discover i left the garage door open all night! Sitting in the garage was a ts75 and track, dewalt miter saw with stand, Milwaukee circular saw, Festool chain mortiser($$$$) and a few other miscellaneous things. I suppose someone could have carted off my nova midi lathe if they really wanted to. My uncle lives in the city and has lost several portable tools when he left them unattended for 5-10 mins for a coffee/bathroom break. It blows my mind that things disappear that quickly. He also had someone take an angle grinder to his copper downspouts one night, so a different sort of neighborhood. Im in the suburbs, otherwise i would be penniless by now for my inattentiveness.

Blog Entries
    You will be much more comfortable now. I never realized the luxury of being able to confidently open the large door on my detached garage behind the 6' fence line until I left it behind.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I am very happy i live in a situation that i do. Just the other day i came downstairs through my basement shop and out the garage to discover i left the garage door open all night! Sitting in the garage was a ts75 and track, dewalt miter saw with stand, Milwaukee circular saw, Festool chain mortiser($$$$) and a few other miscellaneous things. I suppose someone could have carted off my nova midi lathe if they really wanted to.
    I did this too, once. Once. It scared me enough that I religiously check at least once before I go to bed every night. A cheap thing to consider is security cameras. Even if they're not hooked up, they probably make thieves think twice. You can even buy realistic-looking fake cameras.

Nice fence, Jack!

Theft prevention measures seem to work only temporarily until thieves figure out a way around them, at least that's my experience with our property in San Diego. My current shop sits on about 8 acres in rural Northern Arizona. The area is not immune to those that want to take your things (can't escape that) but our driveway is about a 1/4 mile long, steep and winding. We also have a gate leading to the property. I think that along with strong community involvement and guns in the hands of most citizenry has led to only one incident of an uninvited visitor who was apparently lost looking for a different address and apologized profusely for the intrusiveness. We feel very safe and comfortable in this neighborhood where everyone looks out for one another. I can't imagine living in a place like the couple in St. Louis that are not allowed to even defend their home.