Thread: Coffin smoother collectable?

Coffin smoother collectable?

I picked up this little beauty today for $20. It isn't functional as both cheeks are cracked. But I thought it was really interesting and would like nice in the shop. Can anyone tell me anything about this type of coffin smoother? I tried googling metal coffin smoother, infill coffin smoother, etc, etc and haven't been able to find anything exactly like it. I believe it is made of rosewood possibly?

Anything info anyone has on this would be great, name of it, value, etc.
    Thank you
    side view 2.jpgfront view.jpgbottom view.jpgwedge.jpgiron.jpgside view 1.jpg

I have a couple like that. I haven't shopped for them in a while but a few years ago they were readily available and not too expensive. The one you have has a good iron. If you can't use the body you can make a Krenov plane and use that iron for it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'll admit my first thought was, "it can't be that old, Robert Sorby is a current company". It seems a second thought was appropriate. Robert Sorby started operating in 1828. This may be interesting:

Robert Sorby History

though it doesn't really answer your question.

It looks to me like a user-made plane, with a user-made repair.Are there any markings on the front? I can't tell from the photos whether it's rosewood. How heavy is it? If it's significantly heavier than a similar-sized beech plane, then it may be rosewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Whitehead View Post
    It looks to me like a user-made plane, with a user-made repair.Are there any markings on the front? I can't tell from the photos whether it's rosewood. How heavy is it? If it's significantly heavier than a similar-sized beech plane, then it may be rosewood.
    Thanks Rick,
    Unless that user was a blacksmith or machinist I doubt it was user made, but then again my guess is as good as yours. The bottom half is is all steel / iron. It is approx 2" high all the way around. When you remove the wedge you can see that the bottom steel sole thickness is approx 3/8" or so just guessing. So yes is i significantly heavier than a beech plane.

I couldn't find a single marking on it.

Blog Entries
    Like David said, Robert Sorby is a classic English toolmaker with a reputation for quality blades. As to whether the combination wooden body with steel infill base is original or shop made I couldn't say. Based on the pictures you posted, and particularly the wedge, I'd say a knowledgeable plane maker built it. I would be curious to know how wide the mouth is? Either way, I'd say it's an excellent candidate for restoration. I know there's lots of opinions regarding infill planes, IMHO is definitely worth the effort to try and make it work.

If you decide to give it a shot, I'd love to see pictures of your progress.

Best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I'll admit my first thought was, "it can't be that old, Robert Sorby is a current company". It seems a second thought was appropriate. Robert Sorby started operating in 1828. This may be interesting:

Robert Sorby History

though it doesn't really answer your question.
    Thanks David.