Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I learn Metric now? Beginning woodworker help.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I grew up with both Imperial and Metric, so I guess that makes me bilingual

Most hand tools are in Imperial since the good stuff is either vintage British or vintage US. Then, tool slaving takes this a step further, with mortice chisels and plough plane blades being matched up. However, this is still not “measuring”, per se.

A turning point was the purchase of a Hammer A3-31 jointer-thicknesser/planer. This is Metric. Now machining boards is easier if done in Metric. This also affects grooves, since it is easier to thickness 6mm rather than 6.35mm (1/4”). And so there is a slow move to metric plough plane blades.

Metric will inevitably take over for measurements. This is not the same thing as measuring for parts. Measuring for parts does not need a number; instead it is required to be a good proportion, aesthetic, sympathetic. You do not get these from Metric or Imperial numbers. You don’t even measure them. Instead you determine them by play. And you transfer them practically, with a story stick.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    You stated "machining boards is easier if done in Metric" and others have made similar comments that working in Metric is easier. I'm curious, how so? What makes using this system of measurement easier? I frankly don't see one any easier than the other to use. They're both just arbitrary units of distance, history of origin aside.

The lack of fractions, in general, is easier to do maths with. Especially large maths. However I will be willing to bet that his new planer has metric measurements, since it's a Hammer and not in the last country to use imperial measurements
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    You stated "machining boards is easier if done in Metric" and others have made similar comments that working in Metric is easier. I'm curious, how so? What makes using this system of measurement easier? I frankly don't see one any easier than the other to use. They're both just arbitrary units of distance, history of origin aside.
    In general, any system is as easy as it is for the given worker...and ease of use is certainly subjective. Metric's benefit is no fractions and it's based on the number ten so as has been mentioned the math is a little easier. Converting after a virtual lifetime of working in Imperial isn't hard around the using the system. The difficulty is with visualization. Some of them are easy, such as 2" being ~50mm, etc. It's in the longer dimensions that those of us who have chosen to convert have to do more work to be able to "see" something without doing a conversion from what we know. After two years in with my "mostly metric" decision, I'm a lot farther along in that which is nice. Will I be able to "see" in metric fully? I don't know if or when that will happen or if it really needs to be accomplished. I'm still very happy that I chose to go this route.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I swore off ever voluntarily using it again after working in a shop where dimensions were often expressed using only
    millimeters. What nonsense.

So, I can take from this that many people are resistant simply because of habit. Personally, yea you should learn new things. Even if you never apply them.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    In general, any system is as easy as it is for the given worker...and ease of use is certainly subjective. Metric's benefit is no fractions and it's based on the number ten so as has been mentioned the math is a little easier. Converting after a virtual lifetime of working in Imperial isn't hard around the using the system. The difficulty is with visualization. Some of them are easy, such as 2" being ~50mm, etc. It's in the longer dimensions that those of us who have chosen to convert have to do more work to be able to "see" something without doing a conversion from what we know. After two years in with my "mostly metric" decision, I'm a lot farther along in that which is nice. Will I be able to "see" in metric fully? I don't know if or when that will happen or if it really needs to be accomplished. I'm still very happy that I chose to go this route.

I suppose what you're saying by comparison is that for someone that is fluent in several languages but primarily functions in a native one will constantly go through a translation process. Using the native one will bring fuller meaning to the discourse however. I would agree in that sense, which is a good argument for using a system of measurement one started off with but become familiar with others.

I suppose what you're saying by comparison is that for someone that is fluent in several languages but primarily functions in a native one will constantly go through a translation process. Using the native one will bring fuller meaning to the discourse however. I would agree in that sense, which is a good argument for using a system of measurement one started off with but become familiar with others.
    That's reasonable. But I'll add to it that because it's not your native language doesn't mean you cannot enjoy speaking it more and more every day. The fluency may become natural and automatic or maybe not. You don't really know until you "do the deed". I'm glad I personally didn't dismiss the metric system because it was different than what was ingrained in my head for 60 years because after trying it with a few projects (and committing to complete them using it no matter what) I discovered that I actually like it. It makes sense to me. But then again, I prefer the 24 hour clock, too.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    The lack of fractions, in general, is easier to do maths with. Especially large maths. However I will be willing to bet that his new planer has metric measurements, since it's a Hammer and not in the last country to use imperial measurements
    I stick with imperial specifically because of those fractions. I cut joinery which is typically laid out in thirds, and base twelve is easier to divide by three than base ten.

If I want to work in base ten I can simply work in decimal inches.

By contrast I appreciate that scientific work is better done in a system which the standards are observable features of nature which remain consistent.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    But then again, I prefer the 24 hour clock, too.
    Haha, my kids still complain about me using that, even worse at we use the day of the year such as day132 and UTC....The kids think we’re all nerds.....Rod

Rod, I also use the "14 July 2020" format for dates. And lines through my zeros. Yea, I'm a weirdo. Just ask Professor Dr. SWMBO.
    --

Steve, I should have have qualified my comment by stating that the Hammer has a gauge in metric. It does not measure thickness in Imperial - this is the case world wide, I imagine. For thicknesses, everything flows from the thicknesser/planer. If the machine was scaled in Imperial, I would be working that way.

Perhaps this is making me lazy, but the simplicity of Metric is becoming ever more attractive and preferred.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think we should all be switching to whatever measurement system the Chinese use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I stick with imperial specifically because of those fractions. I cut joinery which is typically laid out in thirds, and base twelve is easier to divide by three than base ten.

By contrast I appreciate that scientific work is better done in a system which the standards are observable features of nature which remain consistent.
    How is it base twelve? One inch isn't so easily divisible by three.

I suppose what you're saying by comparison is that for someone that is fluent in several languages but primarily functions in a native one will constantly go through a translation process..
    I disagree, you end up thinking in those languages. The same is true for metric/imperial measurements. It takes longer, because it's more abstract than language.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

It's all relative anyway, for woodworking. Ultimately, I work to the sizes required for joinery. Because most of my chisels are imperial, that means I work to imperial. If my chisels were metric, it'd be metric. If I want 1/3rd of a meter, it's 33,333mm easy (easier than having to go multiply by 64ths if you're into that thing, I am not). Although really not that critical a deal for woodworking as I'm not machining to someone's plans and we do not require the same accuracy.

So, I believe we're really saying the same thing in the end.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut