Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Should I learn Metric now? Beginning woodworker help.

Hey! I get to use a fact that almost all adults get wrong. Which weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?
    And how many gallons are in one barrel?
    Bill D

Just because people don't use a cup, don't think that they don't measure. Lots going on in the brain. Robots move due to science, humans just move, walk, run jump, dance Ballet . do gymnastics.... intuitively. It all requires calculations and measurement. Oh .. and baking is still cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Cooking may be, but baking is not cooking. Baking is science. I worked in a bakery for a while, we weighed EVERYTHING, EVERY time. ALWAYS. It was beaten into us.

3. FWIW, I work in a mixed bag of mostly Imperial with fractional or decimal as fits best, with metric only sporadically. Way back when I was a young man I was excited that our country (USA) said they were going metric. I think we should have bit the bullet back then, but it never happened. As a result I worked in Imperial my whole career and most of my tools are Imperial.

I usually start with fractional Imperial, but I don't hesitate to switch to what ever makes a particular task easier. That is very often digital inches and occasionally metric.

If I were a young woodworker starting out today I'd want to be fluent in all three, but might default to metric.

So you are saying it’s science now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Just because people don't use a cup, don't think that they don't measure. Lots going on in the brain. Robots move due to science, humans just move, walk, run jump, dance Ballet . do gymnastics.... intuitively. It all requires calculations and measurement. Oh .. and baking is still cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    You are correct, My better half says it is both but firstly based on science, she should know as a recipient of the American Culinary Federation Pastry Chef Award for the Northeast...
    WTF, I'm going to have to talk with my wife. Her accolade is that she graduated from the French pastry school in Chicago.... She does make wicked pastry though.

She has also echoed, baking is more like chemistry than art. Oh and she has an art degree in 2d art, so she would know. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    FWIW, I work in a mixed bag of mostly Imperial with fractional or decimal as fits best, with metric only sporadically. Way back when I was a young man I was excited that our country (USA) said they were going metric. I think we should have bit the bullet back then, but it never happened. As a result I worked in Imperial my whole career and most of my tools are Imperial.

I usually start with fractional Imperial, but I don't hesitate to switch to what ever makes a particular task easier. That is very often digital inches and occasionally metric.

If I were a young woodworker starting out today I'd want to be fluent in all three, but might default to metric.
    Thanks Pete. I often start in fractions and switch to decimal, I think my problem is that I then convert back to the nearest fraction, it'd be easier to just stick with the decimel inches and use the proper tape measure, metal rule, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Cooking is not about measurements at all, it's about intuition, and feeling, a pinch of this, a knob of butter etc... It is not science, it is art,
    Yes, but in the baker's example measurement is paramount, most likely because of the desire to produce a repeatable, highly consistent product for your customers. When I buy my favorite scone from the baker, I appreciate that it is consistent, just the way I like it, every time. On the other hand if I'm cooking a meal for family or friends, I often do the ingredients by feel, recognizing that a bit of variety has it's place.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I am not falling for that.......... If i were to say that everyone does science, I would get stoned to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    So you are saying it’s science now?

Cooking may be, but baking is not cooking. Baking is science. I worked in a bakery for a while, we weighed EVERYTHING, EVERY time. ALWAYS. It was beaten into us.
    Spot on. The end result is predicated on very precise chemical and physical reactions with baking. Any serious baker has a digital scale right there on the counter because of this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    What dividers are these? can you post a link, or photo?
    Here are a couple of pictures. Lots of vintage dividers floating around, which is what I generally prefer. You can spend a lot on dividers from Starrett if you want. The important thing is that they hold a setting and the tips are sharp and come together properly.

Here's a page from Tolpin's book, by Hand and Eye. Combining dividers with a sector, now that is when things get really crazy because then you don't even have to do the "divide the remainder into three parts" type step. See a general description here: https://blog.lostartpress.com/2017/0...s-or-a-sector/

hqdefault.jpg141597.0.jpgCapture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Yes, but in the baker's example measurement is paramount, most likely because of the desire to produce a repeatable, highly consistent product for your customers. When I buy my favorite scone from the baker, I appreciate that it is consistent, just the way I like it, every time. On the other hand if I'm cooking a meal for family or friends, I often do the ingredients by feel, recognizing that a bit of variety has it's place.
    It's not just consistency. The ingredients actually do have chemical reactions that affect the product. If you don't believe that, go play with sourdough breads.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

It's not just consistency. The ingredients actually do have chemical reactions that affect the product. If you don't believe that, go play with sourdough breads.
    No doubt that's true, but the point I was making is that the end result of the science is a consistent product that consumers can rely on, i.e. repeatability.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    No doubt that's true, but the point I was making is that the end result of the science is a consistent product that consumers can rely on, i.e. repeatability.
    Well, only if you count things like leavening as repeatability. But, it's obvious that this is a pointless discussion (probably because the S word was mentioned), so I'm out.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I can't believe I'm reading 9 pages and it's turned into the cooking channel.

I guess I need to decide whether I need to start measuring my Sugar Maple in cups or kilograms....
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 07-17-2020 at 11:04 AM.

I was amused reading another posting about Blum Movento drawer slides and they were talking inches. If ever there was a time to switch it's with Euro cabinet hardware which is all metric.