Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Should I learn Metric now? Beginning woodworker help.

The pint (/ˈpaɪnt/, listen (help·info); symbol pt,[1][2] sometimes abbreviated as p[3]) is a unit of volume or capacity in both the imperial and United States customary measurement systems. In both of those systems it is traditionally one eighth of a gallon. The British imperial pint is about ​15 larger than the American pint because the two systems are defined differently. Almost all other countries have standardized on the metric system, so the size of what may be called a pint varies depending on local custom.
    x6OHY3U[1].jpg

Pints are commonly used for the sale of milk in the United Kingdom. The label gives both the metric and the imperial volume.

The imperial pint (≈ 568 ml) is used in the United Kingdom and Ireland and to a limited extent in Commonwealth nations. In the United States, two kinds of pint are used: a liquid pint (≈ 473 ml) and a less-common dry pint (≈ 551 ml). Each of these pints is one eighth of its respective gallon, but the gallons differ. This difference dates back to 1824, when the British Weights and Measures Act standardized various liquid measures throughout the British Empire, while the United States continued to use the earlier English measure. The imperial pint consists of 20 imperial fluid ounces and the US liquid pint is 16 US fluid ounces. The imperial fluid ounce is about 4% smaller than the US fluid ounce. All of the other former British colonies, such as Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, converted to the metric system in the 1960s and 1970s; so, while the term pint may still be in common use in these countries, it may no longer refer to the British imperial pint once used throughout the British Empire.
    In the United Kingdom, the imperial pint is the mandatory base unit for draught beer and cider.[4] Milk sold in returnable containers (such as glass bottles) may be sold by the pint alone and other goods may be sold by the pint if the equivalent metric measure is also given.
    Since the majority of countries in the world no longer use American or British imperial units, and most are non-English speaking, a "pint of beer" served in a tavern outside the United Kingdom and the United States may be measured by other standards. In Commonwealth countries it may be a British imperial pint of 568 ml, in countries serving large numbers of American tourists it might be a US liquid pint of 473 ml, in many metric countries it is a half-litre of 500 ml, or in some places it is another measure reflecting national and local laws and customs.[5]
    Historically, units called a pint (or the equivalent in the local language) were used across much of Europe, with values varying between countries from less than half a litre to over one litre. Within continental Europe, these pints were replaced with liquid measures based on the metric system during the 19th century. The term is still in limited use in parts of France, where "une pinte" means an imperial quart, which is 2 imperial pints, whereas a pint is "une chopine"—and Central Europe, notably some areas of Germany[6] and Switzerland, where "ein Schoppen" is colloquially used for roughly half a litre. In Spanish holiday resorts frequented by British tourists, 'pint' is often taken to mean a beer glass (especially a dimple mug). Half-pint and pint mugs may therefore be referred to as pinta pequeña ('small pint') and pinta grande ('large pint').

Cheers!

_74496997_beer-glass[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    Yeah..... an ounce, or more correctly, an avoirdupois once, is 28.3 grams, a troy or apothecaries ounce is 31.1 grams.... and then there's the fluid ounce, which is not quite the same in Britain and the US..... there's an s-load og other ounces,too..... and the there were 12 inches to the foot, 12 lines to the inch, 12 scruples to the line.... Thank you folks, for inventing metrics.....

After that...I need a pint...of something.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    The pint (/ˈpaɪnt/, listen (help·info); symbol pt,[1][2] sometimes abbreviated as p[3]) is a unit of volume or capacity in both the imperial and United States customary measurement systems. In both of those systems it is traditionally one eighth of a gallon. The British imperial pint is about ​15 larger than the American pint because the two systems are defined differently. Almost all other countries have standardized on the metric system, so the size of what may be called a pint varies depending on local custom.
    x6OHY3U[1].jpg

Pints are commonly used for the sale of milk in the United Kingdom. The label gives both the metric and the imperial volume.

The imperial pint (≈ 568 ml) is used in the United Kingdom and Ireland and to a limited extent in Commonwealth nations. In the United States, two kinds of pint are used: a liquid pint (≈ 473 ml) and a less-common dry pint (≈ 551 ml). Each of these pints is one eighth of its respective gallon, but the gallons differ. This difference dates back to 1824, when the British Weights and Measures Act standardized various liquid measures throughout the British Empire, while the United States continued to use the earlier English measure. The imperial pint consists of 20 imperial fluid ounces and the US liquid pint is 16 US fluid ounces. The imperial fluid ounce is about 4% smaller than the US fluid ounce. All of the other former British colonies, such as Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, converted to the metric system in the 1960s and 1970s; so, while the term pint may still be in common use in these countries, it may no longer refer to the British imperial pint once used throughout the British Empire.
    In the United Kingdom, the imperial pint is the mandatory base unit for draught beer and cider.[4] Milk sold in returnable containers (such as glass bottles) may be sold by the pint alone and other goods may be sold by the pint if the equivalent metric measure is also given.
    Since the majority of countries in the world no longer use American or British imperial units, and most are non-English speaking, a "pint of beer" served in a tavern outside the United Kingdom and the United States may be measured by other standards. In Commonwealth countries it may be a British imperial pint of 568 ml, in countries serving large numbers of American tourists it might be a US liquid pint of 473 ml, in many metric countries it is a half-litre of 500 ml, or in some places it is another measure reflecting national and local laws and customs.[5]
    Historically, units called a pint (or the equivalent in the local language) were used across much of Europe, with values varying between countries from less than half a litre to over one litre. Within continental Europe, these pints were replaced with liquid measures based on the metric system during the 19th century. The term is still in limited use in parts of France, where "une pinte" means an imperial quart, which is 2 imperial pints, whereas a pint is "une chopine"—and Central Europe, notably some areas of Germany[6] and Switzerland, where "ein Schoppen" is colloquially used for roughly half a litre. In Spanish holiday resorts frequented by British tourists, 'pint' is often taken to mean a beer glass (especially a dimple mug). Half-pint and pint mugs may therefore be referred to as pinta pequeña ('small pint') and pinta grande ('large pint').

Cheers!

_74496997_beer-glass[1].jpg

Mmmmmm, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I've got a matched pair of adjustable wrenches - one metric and one SAE. I purchased these at Sears about 40 years ago.
    David

Attachment 437192 Attachment 437193 Attachment 437194

I had a good laugh back when I was in the Navy and a shipmate came by the electronics shop asking to borrow a wrench and I held up the SAE and metric adjustable wrenches and asked which he needed. He went off to ask his chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    I would say i'm a beginner of "fine woodworking", but i've been building stuff for 20 years. Gazeebo Eagle Scout project, deer stands, garage storage, fences, car ports, remove load bearing wall.....

I'm in Wisconsin USA and learned on the imperial system, but i'm wondering if I should start measuring things and using tools in Metric.

Any of you Americans make the switch and wish you did sooner?

Any not so obvious reasons why I should not and just stick to Imperial?

Is Metric more accurate or precise?
    its a good idea to be familiar with it but not saying you need to quit using the imperials system

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    After that...I need a pint...of something.
    interestingly in England the EU "allowed" pubs to continue to use the imperial measure of a pint for beer. I guess now they will do as they please.