Thread: show me how you route your dust collection pipes

show me how you route your dust collection pipes

My whole shop is basically on wheels and I move tools around as I need/use them. I have one of the Laguna pflux dust collectors that is a huge upgrade from my prior dust collectors. I use it as a roll-around collector and connect it to whatever tool I'm using at the moment. I've recently added a floating guard to my cabinet table saw and now need to connect the 4" connector and the connector out of the saw to a common fitting so I can connect them both to my collector.

It is amazing that I cannot find pictures anywhere of how people have routed the pipes to connect both the floating guard and the output of the table saw to their dust collectors, so I can get a sense of how I should route mine. Does anyone have a setup that connects both the floating overarm and the table saw to a common fitting? Mind posting a picture?

In this photo, you can see the connection for my saw...5" to the 120mm port on the saw with a wye to 3" to the blade guard branched off the 6" main. Both ports have independent blast gates. Honestly rarely use the overhead connection because at the present time, it's a riving knife mounted arrangement and I constantly do non-through cuts where it cannot be used. When/if I replace it with a guard on a retractable arm, the overhead collection will get much more use.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I connect a portable DC to this mess:

TS Plumbing.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I don't know if this helps, but I currently use 120mm ceiling mounted steel ducting for my dust extraction. I have a 120mm hose that goes to the the bottom of my SC2 Classic, seen in the lower left corner, and a 80mm hose that goes to the blade guard. The hose for the blade guard has its own blast gate and a 120-80mm reducer at the ceiling junction.

Here's another view of the ducting while I was building the shop. The 120mm connection for the saw is the 45-degree branch left of center. The 80mm connection for the blade guard is almost in the center of the image, but is partially hidden by the hose clamp and fitting I positioned so I wouldn't lose them.

Thanks! This is really helpful.

Blog Entries
    Old shop. Essentially however I could get there in the least turns.

45-not-90.JPGduct examples (1).jpgduct examples (4).jpgduct examples (3).jpg

New plan if dreams come true. Even less turns.

Ductwork-1.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Attached are a few pics showing my intended DC setup for the tablesaw and overarm guard. Note that it's a work in progress. The 4" duct also serves an attached SawStop router table. I wasn't impressed with the SawStop overarm assembly as the suction power seems anemic. The small hose going to the upper router collection is much more robust even though the supply arrangement is similar to the overarm. The only difference seems to be in the branch outlet. Back on the tablesaw ... is it possible the suction on the overarm is purposely toned down so it doesn't offset the suction from the main port underneath. It seems one might tend to cancel the other out.
    dust collection 001.jpgdust collection 002.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 07-14-2020 at 4:55 PM.

I have the dust collection close enough to the table saw, planer and jointer where I just switch hoses with quick disconnect slide on fittings. I had found in my old shop that long ducts with blast gates didn’t have enough suction. My router table and miter saw has a hose that fits a large shop vac that turns on automatically when the machine starts. The large collector has a remote control added to it.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 07-16-2020 at 4:57 PM.

Thanks Everyone. What I ended up doing was dropping directly from the floating dust collector into a Y and then into a 90 elbow. The back of the cabinet is then piped to the other side of the Y with the pipe running just along the back of the top of the saw. For now I'm using flex pipe, but will likely plumb it solid at some point. It seems to work well.