Thread: Spraying advice

Spraying advice

Anyone have words of wisdom for spraying vertical surfaces? I've sprayed plenty of horizontal but never vertical.

It's a small shelving unit and please don't laugh... I'm using a Wagner turbine sprayer. I'm spraying Varathane water based poly.

I'll be spraying the shelves separate from the "box" so they're not in the way but I'm wondering how to prevent the runs.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Hey, no laughing here - I've done exactly the same thing. Spraying waterborne poly on a toy box with a Wagner. My only suggestion is to practice a lot first on wood (not cardboard) to try and get the right point between too much and too little. I had to keep a watch with a rag in hand to catch runs. Keep the sprayer straight and move it back and forth across and past the ends so that its always perpendicular to the piece. The Wagner will start spitting if you're running low.

Well, you could keep rotating the unit so that you are always spraying horizontally. But spraying vertical panels is not that hard IF you spray light coats. If the recommended wet mil thickness is 3 - 5 mils, spray 2 - 3 mils. Also, it's often easier to spray across the panels rather than along them. That helps prevent getting too much finish in the corners and the resultant sagging or runs that happen when you do.

And as Stan said, practice.

John

So I put one light coat on today after work and no runs. I'll check tomorrow to see if it's too light.

John how do you determine if your thickness is 2-3 mils and not 3-5?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

51yZVcnwjIL._SX425_.jpg

Get one of these. Pro painting stores should have them, usually free if you ask nicely.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Yep, what Rob said. I bought one at Amazon for a few dollars. Once you use it a few times you'll know what 2 -3 mils looks like vs. 4 - 5 for any particular finish. With the WB topcoats I use 2 - 3 mils looks like it's not quite enough, that I should spray a little heavier. But if I resist the urge it will flow out and give a nice uniform film. I will say that I often have had to add 2 - 3% Extender to the finish to help it flow out when sprayed this thin, especially when the RH is below 45 - 50%.

In contrast, 5 mils or more often looks great when you first spray it on, but after a couple of minutes you can see that it might have been too heavy, like water about to flow over the edge of the counter. With some WB finishes, like GF's High Performance, they will look white or blue at this thickness, and that's a true clue that you sprayed it too heavily. You often can get away with it on horizontal surfaces, but almost never on a vertical.

John