Thread: Testing Assumptions

Testing Assumptions

It is easy to get lost in your prejudices and assumptions. I like to test mine occasionally, while my tests are also objective and those same prejudices and assumptions can effect the outcomes I do try to limit the effect.

I've freehand sharpened for years. I believe it is faster, easier, and for the most part better than using a sharpening jig. Today I decided to A & B a pair of SwissMade chisels, one a 19mm and the other 16mm. It would have been better if both chisels were the same size but I do not have two of the same brand and size.

Both chisels I ground to a 25* bevel on the Tormek and sharpened using the same progression of Oil stones. A medium India, a Lilly White Washita, a Norton Hard White Arkansas, and a Hard (Surgical) Black Arkansas. Both edges were stropped on a hard leather strop with green stuff. I could have left out at least one or even two of the stones and arrived at the same place.

The guide used was an original Eclipse. I had forgotten how slow using a guide is. It is not just adjusting the chisel and guide, it is also the guide required more strokes on each stone to get to the same place. Another advantage of freehand is feedback, when free-handing you can feel when you have spent enough time on each stone. If I used a jig long enough I might develop that feel but I doubt it.

sharpeningGuide.jpg

A plus for using a guide is a flat bevel, sometime freehand that is not the case.

The real test is metal to wood and here is where prejudice is hard to control. I will just say on the same piece of wood, side by side cuts, the freehand felt easier to push. When looking at the surface left with a 10X lupe the freehand surface was slightly smoother.

Of course YMMV.

I expect if for no other reason than speed and ease if the jig cutter had been the better of the two I would still sharpen freehand. The good news is there is little difference between the two as far as sharpness. Take your pick and use the method that blows your skirt.

Wear a mask and stay safe,

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 07-12-2020 at 4:20 PM.

Trust no one...Least of all yourself..... test and verify!