Thread: Gramercy Holdfasts arrived and, WHACK!, do they ever hold fast

Gramercy Holdfasts arrived and, WHACK!, do they ever hold fast

I've seen the lengthy threads on do they or don't they, prep, what to hit them with and I've had and discarded several $25 cheapos that did nothing.

So I just want to say that in my 3" thick SYP bench top, 3/4" spade bit drilled with a cordless at no particular phase of the Moon dog holes, the $40 buck pair hold like ___________________ (simile of your choice) and take some effort to release. All the prep I did was what Gramercy recommends, a little round 'n round with some 60 grit paper.

Along with a $10 card scraper, the most cheap skate Neanderthal tool of all. Better even, you can't hit the scraper with a hammer!
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Never had a problem with my Grammercy's either. But others have.
    Glad they work for you. They're a nice bench accessory.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Good holdfasts are a basic necessity of the hand tool woodworking shop.

Glad to hear yours are working well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They work for me in my 4" thick SYP benchtop too Bill. You may want to glue some thin, soft leather to the faces of them to prevent marring whatever you are gripping.
    David

The easiest way to add a cushion to the underside of the Gramercy, or other, holdfast is to use a stick-on felt protector for chair- and table legs. They work well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Those holdfasts work great in my bench top, which is about 2 1/2” Doug fir. I like to save the offcuts from cutting small tenons then use them as pads under my holdfasts. So I have a stack of little 1/4” thick pieces that are 1-2” square laying around. They are also nice to split into sticks if I need a glue spreader.