Thread: Table saw fence idea

Table saw fence idea

So the way that Incra positioner racks work is simple and effective with the matching plastic blocks and 1/32" ridges.

Using these blocks on the rail and corresponding back side of the t fence would glide by with tension released and lock in to 1/32 repeatable increments when tightened, essentially giving incra repeatability in a standard style fence.

Is anyone doing anything like this and i missed it? If no any idea why not? Would Incra still have that patent protected?M-RACKSET10-3T.jpg
    Last edited by Garrad Miller; 07-12-2020 at 2:21 AM.

Incra sells a table saw fence system.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Yes they do. Of a completely different design than standard or what im talking about.

Garrad, if you search through YouTube, there is a build of a table saw fence which does exactly this. In this case, the increments were created by a threaded rod, as I recall. It was an ingenious system, however I prefer to have the usual variable system, one that enable me to dial in to fine tolerances.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pudkvHFOfk&t=38s

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Garrad, if you search through YouTube, there is a build of a table saw fence which does exactly this. In this case, the increments were created by a threaded rod, as I recall. It was an ingenious system, however I prefer to have the usual variable system, one that enable me to dial in to fine tolerances.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pudkvHFOfk&t=38s

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Good video, that guy is a good fabricator. Does accomplish the same thing im thinking about just with a whole lot more time and effort although his looks bulletproof!

reminds me of the rack and pinon fences used on the big old saws.
    Bil lD.

link is a Tannewitz fence. very similar to modern day jointer fences
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-12-2020 at 4:04 PM.

I would love to see some pics of what you are referring to. I am familiar with the Incra LS and TS-LS although not familiar with the specific design details. Since I am not an official member I can’t view your pics. I keep meaning to join but....

What if you need to adjust less than 1/32?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Using the cheap easy method im proposing, you couldn't.

Your pics show Incra's strips, but they make a plastic unit which I believe is called the Incra positioner. This is an inexpensive plastic system you can screw to a board and use as a fence. Costs about $50. I believe Rockler carries them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Use tape to shim it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrad Miller View Post
    Using the cheap easy method im proposing, you couldn't.
    You could if you also had a way to move the whole positioned back and forth 1/32”. Im thinking of a cam or lever system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Your pics show Incra's strips, but they make a plastic unit which I believe is called the Incra positioner. This is an inexpensive plastic system you can screw to a board and use as a fence. Costs about $50. I believe Rockler carries them.
    I think you're talking about the Original Incra Jig, which is effectively the non-micro adjustable version of their LS Positioner (i.e. it has no lead screw and therefore cannot be adjusted in less than 1/32" increments). It works great on router tables and such. I have one, but haven't used it in years. But if you're using this as a basis for a table saw fence setup then it's no different than their full-fledged LS-based table saw fence, and the OP isn't talking about a design like that.

The OP is imagining a design where the Incra "racks" are horizontally mounted along the front (and possibly rear) of the saw from left to right, and the fence locks into them with a cam or lever system (as Roger noted). Basically a longer-scale version of the existing Incra tracks or just their miter gauge fences and stops. You could in theory combine that with the lead-screw concept of the LS Positioner to achieve less than 1/32" fidelity. Interesting concept. You can buy the track pieces separately if you want to try to build your own.
    And there was trouble, taking place...