Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Project for July?

A Project for July?

Well....I did have a stack or two of scraps...
    Ash scraps , 2.JPG
    And a couple of Pine boards sitting around, doing nothing constructive
    Pine scraps.JPG
    And a couple handy panels of plywood....
    Plywood supplies.JPG
    That needed a job. Sorted through the Ash scraps....had 11 pieces, tossed out 2...They needed squared up, so they were all about the same width, will worry about the ends, later. Process made quite a it of saw dust...
    July Project, sawdust maker.JPG
    Then set up the zero clearance overlay...
    July Project, resaw set up.JPG
    Used a bit of scrap to center the blade into the middle of the 9 boards...run each through along both edge grain sides....
    July Project, resaw blanks.JPG
    But, height of cut was NOT enough that a pass both ways would reach deep enough.....had to set up the bandsaw...
    July Project, old blade.JPG
    Which left that strip to plane off....later. May change out to a wider blade, later....
    July Project, new blade.JPG
    As I have wider stock to do....at least I have a start.

Seems a couple boxes with drawers have been outgrown. Will see about a slightly larger version....
    Stay tuned...

Well, the blanks were split on the bandsaw well enough..
    July Project, bandsaw done.JPG
    So far, so good....should have stopped there, for the evening...but..

The 1x6 ash and the 1x6 Pine were run through on edge....Tried the bandsaw blades....neither felt like working tonight...threw away the 1/2" junk Baosch.....Had issue with the drive wheel system throwing the v belt to the floor...loosen a couple set screws....LARGE (32 oz) ball peen hammer to adjust the shaft a bit to the motor side, crank both set screws back down TIGHT. re-install the 1/4" blade....still not working...so..
    July Project, ripsaw work.JPG
    First saw was a 5-1/2 ppi Chrome edge saw....had a catch in the giddy-up....one tooth....switched over to the just sharpened D-115, 7ppi.....no hitch in the giddy-up (other than a very tired driver..)
    July Project, defects....after the rip saws.JPG
    Circled area is where the edges are a bit out of straight...there is a knot to work around, too...Bandsaw blade markings?
    July Project, bandsaw issues.JPG
    Figure I can just plane this mess flat...
    July Project, ready for the plane.JPG
    Had already started,,, when the blank hopped out of the dogs....and Uncle Sir Charles began hitting my toes and calves.....

Weird part? Bandsaw had zero issues splitting the pine parts. Strange.

Gatorades and water being consumed now...I am soaked....might have actually done a bit of work, tonight? Still have one more 1x5 Ash scrap to rip saw apart....but, not tonight....

Stay tuned...BTW...do NOT buy one of these
    July Project, new blade, JUNK.JPG
    As they are JUNK....

May need to take a break for a few days....just spent the last 2 in the Hospital.....Blood Sugar count was 601, and climbing....under control for now (182), and getting settled into a life as a Type 2 Diabetic. Kind of hard on finger tips, right now. We'll see how this goes, for a while...

Take care of yourself. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sugar count is getting better, I'm feeling a bit better, rearend was getting numb from just sitting, and laying around....decided to test the shop, time limit was less than an hour...
    July Project, 3 amigos.JPG
    Mostly running these around. #414c, No. 4,T-10, MF No.11
    July Project, to be fixed.JPG
    Pine 1 x 6 was in need of some plane work....difference between the tablesaw's kerf, and the bandsaw's kerf.
    July Project, one done.JPG
    Made a nice mess, doing 2 Pine slabs, and 2 Ash slabs...
    July Project, messy day.JPG
    Good thing the planes were sharp.

Tried to split the other 1 x 6 Ash plank...already had the kerf run around. 1/2" blade was tossed, 1/4" was used.....about 3/4s of the way to being done...motor on the bandsaw dies...no smoke, just will NOT move.
    Back to the D-115 handsaw....and finished the cut..
    July Project, bad bandsaw blade.JPG
    You can see where the 1/2" blade tried the cut....then the 1/4" blade, and finally, the 7ppi D-115 finish. Next time to the shop, need to plane this flat, and smooth...

Then we'll see what can be made from these "scraps"....
    Stay tuned.

Steven, whenever I have had a pine board with a streak of dark pith and the dark dots around it I usually end up with a future crack or cupping. I hope you have better luck with yours.

BTW, this kind of work is best done in the winter!! Our heat index today easily broke 100.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-18-2020 at 6:58 PM. Reason: To correct auto correct!!! Dang AI.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Shop is down in a basement.

Those wide pine boards may either be a back of a case, or ripped in the middle to make the sides of a few drawers. They are also just under 3/8" thick.

Doctor office visits, today and tomorrow.....waiting to find out what they say.....before an Apothecary Style Chest can be made....may not make the August 1st deadline.....oh well....

Stay tuned....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Doctor office visits, today and tomorrow.....waiting to find out what they say.....before an Apothecary Style Chest can be made....may not make the August 1st deadline.....oh well....

Stay tuned....
    Fingers and eyes crossed for a good word!

Get to scale back on the finger pokes.....no new meds.

Tried for maybe an hour today....had a stack of Ash that needed flattened, and a few edges jointed.....got it done...barely, but....Uncle Charles decided to cramp up the toes in the left foot. OW!..
    Put a few planes to work, today...
    July Project, planes in use.JPG

Had the small shop fan blowing right on me, too. Can't use the bandsaw, until I am able to switch out the motors...one died,
    July Project, dead motor.JPG
    have a spare at the ready.
    July Project, spare motor.JPG
    Tablesaw is currently buried under a pile of lumber.
    July Project, buried saw.JPG

Thinking about a small chest of drawers....drawers being square 5" by 5" fronts of Ash..
    July Project, drawer front blanks.JPG
    .need to work on a case for them....pine for the secondary wood parts. Case parts..
    July Project, case parts.JPG
    Drawer dividers.
    July Project, drawer dividers.JPG

Stay tuned...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-21-2020 at 5:31 PM.

Ok..short trip to the shop...tablesaw has been cleaned off. some 3/8" x 3/4" strips have been ripped. mainly to thin them down to 3/8" thick.

6 drawer front blanks are now cut to size needed, and squared up.

pieces have been milled to make the 2 sides...need to be glued into panels....

Debate is about the back....Ash? Plywood? Pine? Lid needs glued up into a panel.

May wrap around the base with Ash...covering up a plywood panel...may make feet for the corners.....

No photos tonight..had my hands full carrying the Laundry down the stairs to the shop....may get a few pictures tomorrow...

Stay tuned....

Ah...photos..
    July Project, cleared for action.JPG
    Tablesaw cleared for action
    July Project, for scale.JPG
    6 drawer front blanks...square is for "scale"
    July Project, more parts.JPG
    Actually, I ripped 3 of these narrow strips....and already used one..
    July Project, side panel parts.JPG
    Needed a little extra for the side panels...will try to glue both up tomorrow...
    July Project, side panel.JPG
    Close match?
    Jury is still out on one other panel...
    July Project, panel ready.JPG
    Whether to make this a lid..or a back....and how much to trim away of the knots from the edges...
    I think that will do, for one evening....
    Stay tuned

3 glue-ups today. 2 for the sides of the case, one for a lid. First side went decent enough ( tease..)
    July Project, side #1.JPG
    Issue with one of the cauls....set this one aside...started on #2 side.....filler strip down the center needed thinned down a bit, and one edge needed jointed ( a little rough) Cauls even behaved better..
    July Project, side #2.JPG
    (need to invest in more 2" and 3" c clamps...)...set this aside, as well...

Lid: Now the cussing can begin...edges needed jointed...until a no gap line appeared...was a spot right on the end of one board..grrr. Rub joint...glue bead, then moosh things around....stayed put for..3 seconds...
    Addeda caul at one end, then tried again....then a few more clamps...had one clamp that wanted to keep sliding off the edge....grrrrr...finally...
    July Project, Lid, underside.JPG
    This is the underside of the Lid. once the glue is dry, I'll trim the edges to remove them knots, plus whatever else is needed..length and width. the "Show" side?
    July Project, topside, lid.JPG
    Should be easy enough to clean up...later.

Sorted through the 6 drawer front blanks...looking for 3 that matched each other...
    July Project, lower drawer fronts.JPG
    These will be the 3 lower drawers. There will be 3 upper drawers...but they will need ripped a bit...
    July Project, upper drawer front blanks.JPG
    Hopefully I can rip a straighter line than I can draw.....above these 3 will be a storage compartment...so a "floor" will be right above these shallow depth drawers.

Bottom panel and the back will be 5/16" plywood. Front of all the drawer dividers will be Ash strips...with pine behind them. Drawers will ride on the pine "floors" at both levels.

That be the plan..so far....nothing on paper, yet.
    Stay tuned....

Sides came out of the clamps...used them to size the plywood bottom...along with the drawer fronts..
    July Project, 2 sides and a bottom.JPG
    Laid out for the dividers...
    July Project, lay out work.JPG
    A look at how the front will (hopefully) look...
    July Project, front view, parts.JPG
    And got the parts for a back sized..
    July Project, Parts for the back.JPG
    2 glue-ups today...one for the floor of the compartment...(Ash)
    July Project, compartment floor panel.JPG
    And another panel for the upper drawers to slide on...
    July Project, drawer floor.JPG
    This will get an Ash strip along the front edge, as it will show.

Maybe tomorrow, I can either lay out all the shallow dados and grooves, and rebates.....or....work on a few Box Joint corners....

Spent one hour IN the shop, today....waiting on glue to dry again..
    July Project, Lid dry....JPG
    Lid could come out of the clamps? Need to cut it to size, later.....

Stay tuned...

What are you making Stephen?