Thread: Kitchen Cabinet Modification?

Kitchen Cabinet Modification?

I would like to remove the center divider on my 30" wide kitchen cabinets and put in slide out shelves. Currently there are two 10" slide out shelves behind the doors. I want to replace them with one wide shelf. One cabinet supports the cooktop. Others just have drawers above. Stone countertop.

Dumb idea? Has any body done this successfully?

I have two 30" wide cabinets with no center style with a quartz counter top. The weight of the cooktop would be replacing the weight of the cut out stone so it may be a trade off weight wise. What will you do about the gap between the two doors removing the center style will create? Are you planning to make new doors?

Just my thoughts, not speaking from experience.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George, I saw a video the other day that answered the center divider question. The installer just took the stile and attached it to one of the doors so that when you opened the door, it came with it. You just have to make sure that you close the other door before closing the one with the stile attached. Looked nice and worked great.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

George, good question. Steve's suggestion is one of my thoughts. The other thought is to make full width drawers which would overlay the face frame. Thanks for the input.

Steve, do you recall where you saw the video addressing the center divider question? Thanks, Dick

Ignore last post. I found videos on youtube. Amazing.

I would glue a 2x2 or what ever will fit behind the top cross piece. I might use angle iron and short screws if there is not much room.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I found this at a granite company website:

An unsupported span of 24” and up to a maximum of 36” is acceptable as long as the stone is supported on both sides of the span. Longer spans must be supported across the span.

Your granite will still have some support by the upper rail and the back of the 30 inch cabinet. Remove your center support, attach it to the door as Steve suggested above.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-11-2020 at 10:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I found this at a granite company website:

An unsupported span of 24” and up to a maximum of 36” is acceptable as long as the stone is supported on both sides of the span. Longer spans must be supported across the span.

Your granite will still have some support by the upper rail and the back of the 30 inch cabinet. Remove your center support, attach it to the door as Steve suggested above.
    Would doubling the thickness with a center rail behind the visible one make sure that the granite is supported. Belt and suspenders kinda thing. The same could be done in the back of the cabinet. I doubt anyone would notice.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

30" cabinets are a common size, you won't have any trouble with the countertop. Most people prefer a butt door configuration to avoid the open one before the other issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Would doubling the thickness with a center rail behind the visible one make sure that the granite is supported. Belt and suspenders kinda thing. The same could be done in the back of the cabinet. I doubt anyone would notice.
    You certainly could do that, but according to the suppliers it isn't needed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Another option for support, and it sounds like you don't need it, would be to use the steel plates used to support granite overhangs. They are not terribly expensive and are often used flat.

I would eliminate the doors and replace with drawers. Lower unit pull outs are pretty much a thing of the past. It would really not be difficult, you can use the existing pullouts and make some drawer fronts and reposition the slides. You will to modify it to attach drawer front.

When we have out granite tops installed I put a brace on a 36” wide unit. The installer told me it wasn’t necessary.

Agree with Robert, loose the doors and just use drawers. You will have much better access and it will hold more stuff. One 30" wide drawer vs two 10" wide pullout shelves behind doors? Way better. You may even be able to buy them as assemblys with fronts that are close enough to matching.

Or, join the two doors and center divider as a single drawer front....
    single pull out, maximize space... keep the look the same of all your other doors...
    not seeing the kitchen, hard to fully grasp