Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a weak glue that will come apart easily?

Blog Entries

Is there a weak glue that will come apart easily?

I mostly make models of old cars, truck and trains. See picture below.
    A problem I always have is to make sure all 4 wheels are in the exact position to make them level with the floor/ground. Is there a way you would recommend that I can temporarily install them and the axles to insure they are all at the same level? Since these are models, not toys, I'm thinking maybe I could simply uses a weak glue that comes apart? If so, what would you recommend?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

Hot melt glue gun

Would rubber cement work?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I mostly make models of old cars, truck and trains. See picture below.
    A problem I always have is to make sure all 4 wheels are in the exact position to make them level with the floor/ground. Is there a way you would recommend that I can temporarily install them and the axles to insure they are all at the same level? Since these are models, not toys, I'm thinking maybe I could simply uses a weak glue that comes apart? If so, what would you recommend?
    Thanks
    Great looking model! (Do you have pictures of others?)

Do you want to set the wheels in place (with the axles attached? then add the body of the model?

I might consider making an adjustable jig, something like four little shallow vises with leather or something to protect the tires, each with a screw to tighten a jaw to squeeze the wheel and hold it in the right position. If the dimensions vary from one model to another holding each these little jigs in place on a flat base would be easy with a couple of blobs of hot-melt glue and would be easily removed. I have tiny machinist vises to hold small things. Something like this (but smaller) would be easy to make from wood or plastic: https://www.micromark.com/Gentle-Jaw...-Inch-Set-of-2

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Great looking model! (Do you have pictures of others?)

Do you want to set the wheels in place (with the axles attached? then add the body of the model?

I might consider making an adjustable jig, something like four little shallow vises with leather or something to protect the tires, each with a screw to tighten a jaw to squeeze the wheel and hold it in the right position. If the dimensions vary from one model to another holding each these little jigs in place on a flat base would be easy with a couple of blobs of hot-melt glue and would be easily removed. I have tiny machinist vises to hold small things. Something like this (but smaller) would be easy to make from wood or plastic: https://www.micromark.com/Gentle-Jaw...-Inch-Set-of-2

JKJ
    John
    Here are some more
    IMG_20191012_065446.jpgIMG_20200415_155328.jpgIMG_20191127_152825_hdr.jpgIMG_20191012_065440.jpg
    Dennis

Little dabs of hot melt for temporary. Hide glue for "more permanent" that can still be taken apart if required.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Little dabs of hot melt for temporary. Hide glue for "more permanent" that can still be taken apart if required.
    What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    What he said!
    Beeswax will work too. I've used it to temporarily hold things in place. I soften small pieces with heat from my fingers. Not real strong but maybe high strength is not needed.

You really should make a wood model of the famous tulipwood car since you are making them in wood already.
    Bil lD

The link is the real car, not a model
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about shelac
    Bill D

Hot glue will freeze and crack, if you spray condensed air, upside down.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Rice starch paste - just dampen to release or just humidify to soften.

Used by paper conservators or picture framers to repair and mount paper items

Comes as a powder, mixed with water, cooked for a few seconds in microwave.

Available at art supply stores

These might be just the ticket. I use them for quick assembly to test fit small parts or even small shelves. Better than hot glue in my experience because they are so thin.

Glue Dots Removable Adhesive Dot Roll, Contains 200 (.5 Inch) Diameter Dots https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00161UBTW..._5DNcFbV0KXH9N

A lot of good ideas have been offered. I sometimes hold things in place temporarily with modeling clay (or Plasticine). It has a hundred uses - - great to have in the shop.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions. I bought a glue gun and am experimenting with it. I think I'll take a look at the glue dots too.
    Dennis