Thread: Return air duct find.

Return air duct find.

When I was replacing my homes decades old HVAC system there was a surprising array of stuff found. Lots of toys, eating utensils, various papers, many mugs and then this. B7F59045-32E1-4519-9C6D-E6ECF1EB12A5.jpg57B6EA03-7DBC-4A8B-BAAC-91F831290C9C.jpg8D4F4189-0E6B-4757-8BCC-B8F0B4445F25.jpg Kind of a weird thing to go into ductwork. I wonder what the story was.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

A fellow teacher bought a older home and wondered why the central heat and air did not work well beyond the living room. He found a piece of the main duct in the attic about 18" diameter was missing for 4-5 feet. They had forgot to install the last piece 50 years earlier and left it on the truck
    Bil lD

In most upflow HVAC systems, there's a good-sized cavity under the filter, handy for stashing stuff while on vacation or whatever. Not 100% secure, but certainly less obvious than most of the usual hiding places.

My guess is, previous owner used it that way, then his kids saw it and got in on the act.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    One family story is about my oldest brother enjoying the sound spoons made when being dropped down the heat registers while the then smaller family was living in an upper floor apartment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Are you sure they were in the duct and not sitting on top. Many people store items on top of duct work and forget that it is there. You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I've found on top of duct work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Are you sure they were in the duct and not sitting on top. Many people store items on top of duct work and forget that it is there. You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I've found on top of duct work.
    100% certain. I tried google just to see if I could date the box. Surprisingly there is a group of active ammunition box collectors. Who knew? Best I can determine these are from 1970. I’m going to take them to the police dept. for disposal.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 07-11-2020 at 1:02 PM.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

You could sell them $25--$30.
    Tool money?

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    You could sell them $25--$30.
    Tool money?

Bruce
    They’re really old and the area around the primer is corroded. I almost killed my father about 1967 using some old 30-06 bullets a friend and I purchased at an army surplus store. They were for an M1 rifle and still in the clip.
    We were at an remote area with a bluff to shoot against. Friend shot first. No problem. I took aim, pulled the trigger and CLICK! We all remained motionless for several seconds. I lowered the rifle toward the ground and stayed that way for several more seconds. With the rifle still lowered I pivoted to my left. Meanwhile my dad had started toward me without me knowing. He was only a few feet from me when the rifle fired into the ground at his feet. We promptly left. I’m glad i had not opened the bolt before it fired. I always assumed a problem with the old primer. Rifle was an 03 Springfield we used as an ROTC drill team drill rifle. Fun times.