Thread: Constant Shop Rearrangement - Moving Stuff Upstairs

Constant Shop Rearrangement - Moving Stuff Upstairs

My dust collection system is almost finished and most of the stationary machines have been moved in place but I'm not satisfied with the results. It seems the shop arrangement is a constantly evolving process. My latest thought was to move some operations and machines upstairs onto a mezzanine. Heavy equipment would be impossible but I'm thinking the seldom used scroll saw and 2nd router table would be good candidates. If that ends up being a good idea I may keep the Powermatic dust collector now up for sale. Thoughts? Anyone else faced with the sickness of constantly rearranging their shop?

Rearrangement over time is inevitable...needs change; workflow changes; etc. The two tools you mention are actually idea candidates for the mezzanine since it's unlikely you would be using them with really large workpieces, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nope. Never. Never rearranged my shop. :P

Only about a million times. And it's underway again as my hobbies have changed over the past year and I'm chasing other adventures. If like most, you will never get it fully situated but good luck trying.

Yep...I'm in the midst of another re-arranging of my shop right now. This time it is to accommodate a new machine, but I've done it several other times because I was unhappy with the flow. I think it is just the nature of our hobby and the changes in our methods and preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    ... Anyone else faced with the sickness of constantly rearranging their shop?
    That is why my whole shop is basically on mobile bases, even if they don't move much or very often. There is always that one project that I want to push things around for to open up some space or to rearrange the flow of the shop for.