Thread: Pdf corrupted when importing

Pdf corrupted when importing

For about the last month or so I have been unable to open scanned pdf images In CD X8 on a windows 7 computer, after doing it for several years.
    I have recently upgraded from Win 7 to win 10. I have tried to import some more scanned images from my Epson V370 scanner into CD X8 and each time I do it the message 'the file is corrupted' comes up.
    I havent changed any settings in the scanner parameters and I can open the pdf's using adobe acrobat reader and they are just fine.
    I must be doing something wrong but cant put my finger on it.
    Anyone got any clues?

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Mike
    Did you do an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Has it ever worked properly since the upgrade? I'm wondering if some bit of software made the trip from 7 to 10 and shouldn't have. But I'm no expert in this stuff. Do you have a way to 'print' from Acrobat Reader to create a new pdf? See if the new pdf has the same problem?

I've been having the same trouble lately. Well, more than lately, for like going on two years. And I have the same problem on my XP's AND my Win7's. I've always assumed the problem comes from the originator, but YOU'RE the originator! BUT then again, I've the same pdf's that showed 'corrupted' in Corel also not open in Gravostyle 7... Gravo's message is 'unexpected file format'...
    BUT then again II, my Gravo7 is linked to Corel via a plug-in. So who knows?

Also, it's not like all pdf's show as corrupt, and sometimes, pdf's that wouldn't open one time WILL open another time, which is a little strange...

One thing I DO know, is Corel is relentless at adding 'messages' to your computer(s). I keep deleting the messages, but they just keep coming back, even though I have Corel firewalled by Windows, 127.0.0.0'd AND blocked in my router! That they can do that is downright scary!

So I wonder.... is Corel attempting some sort of anti-pdf-piracy thing using their messages? (Most of which are scripts)

Now I'm curious. All my Corel messages are deleted at the moment, but yours aren't -and maybe deleting my messages is why sometimes 'corrupted' files will magically open later?

Try this: First, shut down Corel. Then go to START, in the search type: %APPDATA% and enter... if nothing happens look for the 'roaming' folder, click it. You're looking for the Corel folder. Open it, and you'll find the Messages folder... What we want to do is disable this folder so Corel can't read it. To do that, just rename the folder, just add a letter to it, like ' Messagesx ' or something. This will keep Corel from accessing it when it starts... Restart Corel, then try to import your PDF's.

If they open, maybe we stumbled onto the reason and solution!

If they don't, oh well, at least we can rule that out!

-- When done with this experiment, just go back and correctly rename the Messages folder, and all will be well. And even if you don't, Corel will do it for you.
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 07-11-2020 at 1:14 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hi Kev
    Thank you for your helpful advice. Tried this out last night and it doesnt work, and I was surprised by the amount of messages there are in there.

Mike

Good to know, I've been wondering about that... My new messages showed up today again. I didn't try the pdf experiment, but I did corrupt a certain message on purpose, going to find out just how far their reach really is...

I'm about out of suggestions other than I wonder if some free online vector-capable software might work? Besides pdf issues I've been fighting CAD file issues in Corel for a LONG time. I downloaded a free version of "Nanocad", it's a pain but it IS a good workaround- my issue is importing DXF's in X4 brings in ALL text left justified, when most of it is supposed to be centered, time consuming to recenter everything.. X3 opens the exact same files with the text correctly justified, but it all comes in as PARAGRAPH text rather than graphic text, so every line of text is 'boxed', and I have to un-box it all, more time eaten up. With Nanocad, I open the file in there, erase dims I don't need (turns out that's pretty easy), then I re-save it as an R11 version, which is like 26 years old. When I open it, text is graphic YAY, and correctly justfied, YAY, but- is invisible..? Like to tear my head out. To fix that I ungroup the entire print, then use the 'select all text' function, then move all of it 30" away, then change the font. Why it makes me do that, no clue, but when done everythings good to go. Even after all that its still much faster than the other adjusting!

But at least there's something to fix, it's hard to fix graphics that won't open...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Hi keV, it must drive you nuts. I can't understand why I have been able to import pdf's for s long time and then suddenly I can't.i have s student version of x6 and I can't import pdf's with that either. Did you try to import the pdf I attached and if so, did it open for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dempsey View Post
    Hi keV, it must drive you nuts. I can't understand why I have been able to import pdf's for s long time and then suddenly I can't.i have s student version of x6 and I can't import pdf's with that either. Did you try to import the pdf I attached and if so, did it open for you?

FYI, I was able to successfully import the .PDF file you attached in CorelDraw 2017 64 bit version running on Windows 10.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Yes, it opened fine for me too. It was in bitmap format, not sure if the text was supposed to be in vector or not, but it was all bitmap...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter