Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on glueing Teak

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    So you don't use any glue at all?
    Not for a small bung for a screw. Just dip it varnish. I can’t claim to have invented the method though; I either got it from a Woodenboat article or a boatbuilding book. I can’t remember. It works fine and does allow you to remove them without destroying the surrounding wood. Eventually, with a boat, you will want to rebed the trim and need to take those screws out.
    What kind of boat are you sailing?

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Not for a small bung for a screw. Just dip it varnish. I can’t claim to have invented the method though; I either got it from a Woodenboat article or a boatbuilding book. I can’t remember. It works fine and does allow you to remove them without destroying the surrounding wood. Eventually, with a boat, you will want to rebed the trim and need to take those screws out.
    What kind of boat are you sailing?
    Thank you David. I'll have to give that a try.

We have an 1986 Aloha 32. It's a Mark Ellis design built in the Whitby yard in Canada. We bought it in May of 2019.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

But I would still use solvent. Easiest way for article writing gurus to get to guru- ship is find short-cuts. Birds migrate ...but I'm not
    sure about oil seduced by in-solvents ! If I had ever experieced a failure ...then I'd go back to the gloomy deep thinker
    treatises !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-29-2020 at 5:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Thank you David. I'll have to give that a try.

We have an 1986 Aloha 32. It's a Mark Ellis design built in the Whitby yard in Canada. We bought it in May of 2019.
    Nice boat. I always liked Ellis designs and the Aloha’s had a good reputation. Not too deep for your area I assume. Do you have the V-berth or the workshop up forward? I’m envious of your upcoming winter of sailing. Mine is high and dry, wrapped, winterized and waiting for spring.
    I am owned by a 1980 CheoyLee 35. Bob Perry designed. We bought her in 2001.
    Apologies for the thread drift...

Told to use acetone by two suppliers in the past. The glue that failed if its older then six months it was going downhill, if you didnt stir it it has to be stirred.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I've seen articles showing gluing comparisons on teak. The conclusion is that wiping with solvents doesn't help, and may hinder. The best results were from gluing immediately after milling. The waxes and oils don't have time to migrate to the gluing surface.

Hey everybody I'm going to jump right in and tell you what I know. I work on a small shipyard and we also lay Teak decks. We use bedding compound from Simpson or Sikaflex and neither manufacturer will warrant the bedding compound if the teak hasn't been thoroughly wiped down with acetone.

One tip that will help with a good bond ...as well as a wipe with acetone ....is to score the mating surfaces with a knife (or chisel edge) before applying glue. I use a criss-cross pattern. I have seen a tool made from a short piece of an old bandsaw blade, fitted with a handle, and then used to put a scratch pattern on mating surfaces.