Thread: CNC down need new stepper motor

CNC down need new stepper motor

I am having an issue with a stepper motor on machine that I bought used 6 years ago. The company that makes it is out of business and I need to find a replacement. Most new NEMA 34 motors are using a 1/2" shaft and this one has a 3/8" shaft. I do not mind a bigger motor as I have plenty of space and have updated Gecko drivers but need to work with the pulleys and belt size I have. Here is the info I have.

Current Motor
    MCG IH34110
    Does not need shaft on both sides as only one is used.

Pully
    3/8" ID with 7/8" OD .080 pitch

Any recommendations on motors and or pulley combinations would be great.
    Last edited by Kenneth Thomas; 07-09-2020 at 9:53 PM.

I think the NEMA 34 with 1/2" shaft will be fine. You could either machine out your pulley ID hole to 1/2" (if possible) or purchase a replacement pulley with 1/2" ID x 7/8" OD x 0.080 pitch - if you can find one. Otherwise you can use a slightly larger OD pulley and recalibrate your software with the correct turns ratio for the larger diameter pulley.
    David

A quick Google search brought up the link below, so I am sure there are more out there:

http://cncbasis.com/stepper-motor-ne...-single-shaft/

As David said, if it's easier or cheaper to get a NEMA34 with 1/2" shaft, then there are plenty of replacement gears available (usually, my stuff is only NEMA 23 and there are a ton) and it may make the process easier in the future if you have to swap out a stepper again.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply. I finally found a motor on Amazon that will be in stock in a week and a 1/2" pulley. The biggest issue was the length as it would interfere with the X axis and decrease it.

Did replacing the motor fix your problem? People often blame their steppers, but they hardly ever go bad (unless you open them up to check them out). Or was this a gearmotor? Then all bets are off...