Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orange peel when spraying GF High Performance Topcoat

I've finally had an opportunity to spray again and utilize the feedback that you all provided. To close the loop here, the results have been infinitely better using a 1.5mm tip thinned 5% w/GF Extender at 30 sec through the Ford #4 cup. I can't thank you all enough for the help with this as well as my other questions since I've joined this community. This is by far the most helpful online community I've been a member of and has made picking up woodworking and my project far easier.

Glad it worked out well for you Gabriel. Getting the viscosity in the correct range for your gun is paramount and adding Extender can often be a game changer for getting it to flow out.

John

Is Extender in the GF line the same thing as Retarder in the Target Coatings line? Are they interchangeable?

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Is Extender in the GF line the same thing as Retarder in the Target Coatings line? Are they interchangeable?
    I have used the GF extender with TC finish with no ill effects, Roger, but I cannot assure that it's chemically exactly the same. By description, it would be the same or similar as the Target product in function. Both "extend" the drying time slightly so that the finish can settle more for a smoother result. If the coating skins over too quickly in some conditions, it will not level properly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...