Thread: Delta DC-380 Planer Part

Delta DC-380 Planer Part

My Delta DC-380 Planer has been leaking oil profusely. I found the problem is an o-ring on the shaft of the feed rate shifter that needs to be replaced. Problem: the part has been discontinued, I've tried McMaster Carr with no luck, and I don't know where else to go. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance, Vince
    Last edited by Vince Shriver; 07-09-2020 at 6:04 PM.

Trial and error?

O-rings are basically generic, try an auto parts or farm & fleet type store.

Ace Hardware or True Value Hardware

McMaster will have it, but you need to know what size it is, or the actual number of the O ring. Probably an O ring from a Grizzly, Jet, PM or other planner will work. With a pair of HF calipers, you can measure opening and shaft size.

Measure the diameter of the cord then the inner and outer diameter. It could be metric or English units, where was it made? Are you sure it is just a o-ring and not a seal or a square ring seal.
    Bil lD

Not sure what size it is but I replaced mine with an O ring from my O ring kit so it is a common size.I sold my 380 about a year ago.

Harbor freight sells an O-ring assortment in a plastic divider case for under $10. If it fits that is probbably cheaper then ordering one. That is how I bough the metric woodruff key I needed for my lathe.
    Bill D

Vince while you have that thing apart make a new gasket for the chain case cover and install it when you put everything back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Vince while you have that thing apart make a new gasket for the chain case cover and install it when you put everything back together.

Would black RTV work instead of a gasket? Honda's small engines are put together with RTV, no gasket except carburetor and exhaust.

Thanks, Mike & Bruce. I changed the original gasket to a cork gasket, and it continued to leak. We then reused the original gasket (a neoprene type material) with a thin coat of Permatex which sealed it up, but then we found a new leak coming from the feed shift knob. The only oil seal we found there was a small o-ring buried deep on the feed shaft. Bruce the old gasket seems to be fine, so no issue there - right now it's finding the right o-ring behind the shift knob.

My factory gasket was a piece of plastic that missed one top corner completely,leaked for years and when I finally pulled it apart I figured out why.

Because the 380 was made in either Brazil.or Tiawan, the O rig will probably be a metric size. Tonight, I bought the 225 piece (SAE) assortment from HF for $5.99, less 20%. Odds are one of these will fit your 380. Look at similar planer from Grizzly and see what they show for O ring.