Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furniture (big dining table) on oak floors

Blog Entries
    I also think Maple would be rad. I was looking at slabs / figured maple lumber table tops last night... I don't want live edge on this one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I think John TenEyck is right, a figured maple top will be both stunning and hard wearing.
    Whatever wood you use to support the top won't matter that much, the shape of the base and the top will be what makes the table.
    As others have said you can use walnut for the base so there's contrast, or ebonize another wood.

You know, as I type responses like this out I'm often aware that the OP most likely knows all this, and the usefulness of asking questions on here is that the forum is a sounding board, and it's really good to get the questions out of your head onto the page. I often ramble on to my wife about this and that wood, what type of joint, yada yada, as she responds "yes dear" every few minutes, but it's useful to me to do so.

At the end of the day, I'm going to go with what I want.. but what I want could certainly be swayed by what others' ideas... I enjoy hearing everyone's different viewpoints. No, this isn't a serious discussion. It's a sounding board. I appreciate the (helpful) responses.

: )

One picture facing sun & one away from sun.

Table & Floor - edit.jpg

Table & Floor 1 - edit.jpg

Oak table

I built a white oak pedestal table with Mahogany accents. Bench tops are Sapele.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certainly no clash there. Fine table. Reading again to make sure I'm understanding your goal ,I don't see a problem.
    Still think darker floor looks better, but that is the most often used, and I am influenced by "standard ". Interior decorator
    might say " The darker floor is more grounding ...more formal "

I like it ,and conclude that the color contrast takes away all expectations that the monks commissioned it. And I love
    the 'bacon bench!'. Nice modern set .

It doubles as the “fort” for the grands and the dogs. They are under it more than at it. Blankets, sheets, it is a Star Ship! Thanks!

Just plopped this walnut behemoth onto a client's 1800s oak floors. It was pretty stunning in the space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's really drool-worthy, Johnny!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Normally I would take a direction from the room, maybe paint the base in a similar color, but in this case........

Ok how about matching the wood trim?

Nice job Jack