Thread: Something shewing my house alive!!! Please help!!!

Something shewing my house alive!!! Please help!!!

Right now we live in house with pine wood ceiling and walls. House about twenty years old and in a very good shape otherwise.Metal roof.
    It is started last year - dust on coffee table falling from the ceiling. Something like this:
    Insects - 2.jpg
    Dust with some larva(?). With magnification this dust looks like this:

Insects - 2 (1).jpg

Ceiling about 20 feet above, not very easy reachable. I was able to spray it with some insect spray from HD. Did not help much, actually did not help at all.
    We are in very rural area with no regular access to service like Orkin or so. But I was able to find company who agreed come to check. Guy came and after looking on the dust said - it is not from insect, just wood dust. After showing him picture with something like larva, he asked to send this picture to his boss. In a few days I got answer - this is longhorn beetles and I need to do full fumigation.
    I don't really fully agreed with his decision. First - he shown no experience to diagnose the thing, second - he never even offer to go to the attic and check up there. And third - most expensive treatment offered without further investigation.
    I went to attic, not me but my friend. He is much shorter and doesn't have a bad knee, like me. This is what he discover there:
    Insects - 5.jpg
    It is some dead ladybugs, but it is normal for our area and I used insect killing bomb in the attic to kill all of them. No other insects were seen. He spray with some very powerful insect killer spray with chemicals suppose to kill longhorn beetles and such.
    It is help just for a few days and we have dust coming from ceiling again. It is only in one area, as we can see.
    Do you have any suggestions? Should I send pictures to some other places for verification?
    I am lost now.

Thank you, Ed.

Blog Entries
    This is something where a call to the county agricultural office might be of help.

It may be necessary to tent the complete building (and others on the property) to eliminate your problem.

Your county ag agent may be able to help you find someone to help you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Probably do need positive verification. But I would only get that from the business I would choose to hire. I see you
    are in Virginia. You should call Virginia Tech. I know they used to do ID stuff like that without charge. Please call them. Post again ,as you
    get information. Good luck to you !

Thank you guys. I just check on internet. County has office for Cooperative extension with cooperation with Virginia Tech and State University. Will call them tomorrow.
    With this Covid19, most of the offices still on contactless and distance-based methods. Will report.
    Ed.

Could always just call an exterminator, like Orkin or some such. Might be quicker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Thank you guys. I just check on internet. County has office for Cooperative extension with cooperation with Virginia Tech and State University. Will call them tomorrow.
    With this Covid19, most of the offices still on contactless and distance-based methods. Will report.
    Ed.
    You may be able to email them images. You may need to take a few more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Matt, we don't have Orkin office around here. I know, it is hard to believe, but when I call them - "we are not serving your area".
    I sent pictures to my local agricultural cooperative and just got call back - most probably all damage by termite. Not a good news for me.
    Thank you guys for all suggestions and help.

Ed.

Termites don't end up in the attic without making their way from the ground. Do you have a basement or crawl space? Look all around the outside of the foundation for their runway. It will look like a dirt tube that is attached to the foundation. I think they actually call it a "mud tube". It could also be inside where it's not easily seen. These days they treat with bait traps in the ground or at least they did 15 years ago.

Around here, the standard treatment for termite infestation is tenting. The house is covered by a sealed tent. Gas is pumped in to kill the insects. You and all living things need to be out of the house for several days. It costs several thousand dollars. Tenting outfits may be more willing to make the drive to your location because the job is more money than the Orkin guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Around here, the standard treatment for termite infestation is tenting. The house is covered by a sealed tent. Gas is pumped in to kill the insects. You and all living things need to be out of the house for several days. It costs several thousand dollars. Tenting outfits may be more willing to make the drive to your location because the job is more money than the Orkin guys.
    After some research they might be drywood termites. Fumigation is the method used to get rid of large infestations. We don't have them in this part of the country. However they can be carried in furniture to areas that they aren't native to. Research spot treatments although it sounds like that you tried that already. Otherwise the tenting method is the other option. Good luck. The posted link gives some good information.

epestsupply.com/drywood_termites.php#.XwtpTGhKjIU