Thread: Running Glued up Boards in a Planer for CNC

Running Glued up Boards in a Planer for CNC

I have got a bunch of aged boards that are nail free and look super when ran through my new DeWalt planer.

I want to glue them up and run again so I can make signs and designs on my CNC. Titebond glue, will that screw up my brand new planer blades?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We run glue ups through the planer every day. The hardened glue is harder on blades than the wood, but it does not "ruin" them. Scrape off all the excess, top and bottom, before you plane them.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Scrape off the excess, preferably while it's still pliable, and you'll have zero issues with your planer knives. As Grant mentions, the dried glue is generally harder than the wood, but it still machines fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with all that it is OK. it's best to do it on fastest feed speed ( counterintuitive but true). And don't use multiple
    light passes ,that causes MORE knife damage. Take heavy cut.

If you have room (extra planer width), it may help (or provide extra insurance against problems) to run the glue-up at a slight angle, so the glue lines are not hitting the same exact point on the knives over and over.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    The thin glue lines have never been a problem for me. I scrape any squeeze out prior to running them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks guys, I will scrape off by hand with a sharp chisel , any blobs before I run.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I scrape off big chunks of dried squeeze-out but I don't clean it completely. Haven't noted any issues with carbide blades.