Thread: Would you return this DW735 or take a discount....base damage

Would you return this DW735 or take a discount....base damage

Hi all!

What's your opinion on the damage to this new DeWalt DW735 that I just received. Box has no apparent damage. The company Acme Tools has offered exchange, return or negotiate a partial refund. What would you do? Haven't fired it up yet but I'm mostly worried that sending it back will just result in another damaged one. But also I don't want DeWalt to not fix anything else if I ever need the warranty because they see the dent.
    I ran a straightedge along the width of the front of the table and it is slightly not flat on the left corner where the damage is but it seems flat besides just that corner. Need some advice on if this will cause any keeping wood as parallel with the cutter as possible

I do already have it repacked...maybe I just ask for the exchange and wait a few days for a new one to come in.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eddie Ramones; 07-09-2020 at 10:38 AM.

That was my first question, "put a straight edge on it and see if its flat". I think this is an easy choice, send it back and get a new one. Once you have a damage free one, i think you will love the unit. That was my first planer many years ago. Really liked it.

Indeed - it's not flat, it likely never will be even if repaired. Replace!

Blog Entries
    That took a severe hit to the major structural part of the machine, to no telling what other damage or distortion there may be hidden within. I wouldn't accept anything less than a new planer or a 75% refund on the damaged one.

WOW! I actually just recently posted about a damaged/used 735x (Sold as new) that I received where just the stainless steel bed was scratched up and there was some obvious use. To give you some context... I was offered a 20% discount on that and assuming it works ok once I get a chance to run some stock... I’m leaning towards keeping it. In this case... I don’t think there’s any way I’d hold on to this one as this far surpasses cosmetic damage and is full on structural. Not having a flat bed will prevent the planer from ever working correctly.

I would exchange it. At least you are dealing with a company who is helping you out.

Replace it the metal is stretched and will never go back to flat without using a metal shrinker . I do not think a shrinker will work on stuff that thick, they are designed for car sheet metal. The other choice is to attach a bed sheet and loose thickness ability.
    Bil lD.

Since the damage materially affects the potential ability of the machine to work accurately, I'd get a replacement. If it was just cosmetic, I'd go for the discount.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As the others have said, the table must be flat for the planer to do its job. I wouldn't worry about a second one being damaged and, if it is, then it will also have to be replaced. It's a great planer and worth the wait for a perfect one.

To replace the base, part only is $213. Labor, shipping, tax, ... not included.
    If you plan on using the extension tables, then the base has to be replaced as they mount to the lower cap screw.
    Send it back.

This. You are probably going to want the extension tables. If the damage will muck up the attachment of these tables, bad situation. Send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Merrill View Post
    To replace the base, part only is $213. Labor, shipping, tax, ... not included.
    If you plan on using the extension tables, then the base has to be replaced as they mount to the lower cap screw.
    Send it back.

Likely the bed is as not flat as it was before the hit. That casting isn't likely to bend, it would just crack. For a meaningful discount I'd happily push wood through this thing and get just as good results. BTW,what's that hanging out the crack

13. Mine was the same way when I got it. Seems pretty common for some reason. I exchanged mine for a new one.