Thread: Just purchased a second hand IS6000 HELP!

Just purchased a second hand IS6000 HELP!

Good Morning.
    I apologize if this has been covered somewhere but I looked pretty hard and couldn't find it anywhere. First off I have never done any sort of engraving or anything of the sort in my life. I purchased the machine at a Richie bros auction sale thinking it would be handy to mark and tag some equipment at my bushiness. After receiving the machine i verified that it turns on and was able to make all the operations work with the hand controller, so I'm pretty sure it is fully functioning. Now I'm on to trying to get software, possibly some cords (it came with some) and a dongle. After speaking to gravotech it sounds like i can get what i need for about 3000 CDN and it will include gs8 discovery with font pak 1, dongle, and serial to usb cord. I emailed him back asking for a little more clarification on what discovery with font pak 1 would enable me to do. He has since replied with a less than informational brochure that doesn't cover much of anything best i can tell. My main questions are is this software/dongle absolutely crucial to running the machine? Is there a better or different way of doing things? Am i over my head and should junk the machine lol?

Thanks for any help at all!

The software is crucial, and is damn expensive, $3000 for the discovery version is proof of that. There may be other ways/software to drive the machine, someone who knows may chime in-?

Go to ebay, search gravograph M40, what should show up first is an M40 up for auction, current price is $1495, requires a bid of $1520, only one bid so far, problem is there's 5 days left in the bidding-- IF you could nab this machine for under $3000, you'll get a whole 2nd machine plus a 5.4 full graphics version of Gravostyle that will run BOTH of them. I've been using two 5.3 versions for many years... I have a version 7 discovery, and there's no graphic editing capabilities. BUT anything created in other software than can be exported to DXF or EPS can be imported into any Gravostyle and ran.

That 6000 is a bit large for 'just' tag marking, but it's a great machine
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hey Kevin, Would purchasing this machine on eBay also solve my “dongle” issue as well and would one dongle be sufficient for 2 machines? I apologize for being so green to this. I tried to self educate a bit but the info is few and far between online, and gravotech doesn’t seem very forthcoming, almost like pay first and we will tell you all about it after lol. And yes I agree an is6000 is a little large but for 350 dollars I had a tough time passing it up lol.

Thanks again

what a deal!

a quick lesson:
    --The dongle, which looks like a small flash drive, is the security lock for the PROGRAM, and the program as-is will accommodate up to 4 machines. More machines yes, if you have more money

--You can install the program on as many computers as you want, the dongle will work on which ever computer you're using once plugged in.

--The machines can be connected to a different computer and accessed the same as any network printer. This computer I'm using has GS5 and GS7, running 7 different machines connected to 3 different computers. In fact, only my LS900 laser is connected to this computer. Networking, gotta love it!

so YES, that ebay machine will essentially solve your problems, but if you go that route, before money changes hands insist they prove to you they have the dongle and that the program will run with it. A texted video is no big deal to make happen. Otherwise, you'll have 2 albatrosses and no working machines! Due diligence
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle