Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working with rough condition slab - Need advice

Wire brush wasn't an option...oxidization was way too deep and needed to be planed level. Here is my test piece...planed...stablized with penetrating epoxy....worm holes and cracks filled with black epoxy...sanded.....wiped down with Mineral Spirits for photo. Grain patterns are amazingly cool (pure luck...couldn't see when I was buying)Test Board.jpg

Very nice.

Ok...after much trial an error wood is finished...very happy with the results....waiting on hairpin legs to be delivered to finish it up.

Planed the board down with the usual router jig and a spoil board blade.

Literally poured/soaked the board with Total boat penetrating epoxy (diluted 1:1 with acetone)

Filled voids with T88 and graphite, sanded, repeat, repeat, repeat. Every time I sanded it revealed new voids, so at some point I just had to declare it done.

Sanded down to 320

I purchased some Allback linseed oil and beeswax finish thinking it was for a different project....tried a little on my test piece and was sold. Original plan was to coat with epoxy and varnish but this is waaaaay better looking and much more organic looking. Feels like glass when you slide you hand across it.

I'll post one last picture with the legs when they come over the weekend.
    Finished Wood CU.jpgFinished Wood.jpg

Really beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree, very nice! Old repurposed wood is always a favorite of mine. Just cannot get that character in most new wood.

It's really quite beautiful. Nice job.

Never used T88. Does it have any advantages over the West Systems epoxy, or did you just have it on hand?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

Never used T88. Does it have any advantages over the West Systems epoxy, or did you just have it on hand?
    T88 is a structural epoxy designed primarily for bonding things together. It's not ideal to use in place of a resin designed for pouring/deep work, but it would work, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

None of it was for deep pouring (but I admit that shrinkage was a problem)...and the board was checked, punky in places and lots of insect damage. So the structural properties of the T88 was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Egnater View Post
    Ok...after much trial an error wood is finished...very happy with the results....waiting on hairpin legs to be delivered to finish it up.

Planed the board down with the usual router jig and a spoil board blade.

Literally poured/soaked the board with Total boat penetrating epoxy (diluted 1:1 with acetone)

Filled voids with T88 and graphite, sanded, repeat, repeat, repeat. Every time I sanded it revealed new voids, so at some point I just had to declare it done.

Sanded down to 320

I purchased some Allback linseed oil and beeswax finish thinking it was for a different project....tried a little on my test piece and was sold. Original plan was to coat with epoxy and varnish but this is waaaaay better looking and much more organic looking. Feels like glass when you slide you hand across it.

I'll post one last picture with the legs when they come over the weekend.
    Finished Wood CU.jpgFinished Wood.jpg
    That looks awesome. Nice job with it. What kind of wood was that again?