Thread: Delta 34-444 Contractor Saw Blade Alignment Problem

Delta 34-444 Contractor Saw Blade Alignment Problem

Long story short, I had to remove my trunnion from the saw to replace a spanner nut. When I put the saw back together I noticed that the blade was out of center, probably by 1/8". The trunnion holes do not have enough play to fix this.

20200708_172748.jpg

I think the problem has to do with when I took the pulley off and replaced the spanner nut. I think when I did that, I think when I tightened the pulley on the arbor, it pulled the blade flange off center. Here is a picture

20200708_172813.jpg

It should be noted that the nut on the arbor flange has pulled inside of the arbor bracket. You can't get at it with a wrench. I can move the arbor to increase the gap, but I was thinking that is supposed to hold the bearing in. Actually, when I move it in the direction I want to, the bearing moves with it and is then not fully seated in the arbor bracket. I am sure I can reseat the bearing, but I am not sure what would be holding the bearing in if I do that. A couple of questions:

1) What is supposed to hold the bearing in?
    2) Should I be able to get at the flange nut with the thin Delta-provided wrench to replace blades? (I am asking this just to understand how this is supposed to be assembled).
    3) Should the spacer between the bearings be snug, or should it just lay on the arbor, allowing the arbor to spin inside it. (the spacer is just a bent piece of metal with a slot in it, not a machined spacer). I want to understand its purpose.

I have struggled with this thing for a week and we aren't talking right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

The crush tube rotates with the inner races. On a unisaw the flange end bearing is locked in place the other end is free to float in the bore. Is the new flange end bearing the same thickness as the old? was there a spacer between the and the inner bore? Just use a blotter between the blade and the flange of a proper thickness.
    Bil lD

Thanks for the reply ... I didn't replace any of the bearings. The flange-end bearing has a load spring. You put in the spring, then the bearing, and then the arbor/flange. I don't see anything on the drawing that holds the bearing in other than the flange. Could it be that the bearing is relying on the friction of the arbor to keep it where it needs to be? I was able to pull the arbor out with the arbor bracket without the bearing moving on the arbor.

Check the two tubes that connect front and rear trunions. You should be able to lay a piece of plate glass on top of them, and it not rock. If you don't have a piece of plate glass the right size, just use a piece of MDF.

Thanks, what is a blotter? Is the same as a washer? Just a new term to me.
    I will have to take the flange end bearing off to put the blotter on. I was trying to avoid doing that as the bearings seem to be ok and I don't want to damage them. I will scan the blog for some tricks.

Thanks, I check them with glass and they are flat as can be.