Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neander Tackle Box Build

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Sometimes we see elegant boxes that have just a little too much wood in them. You are making something that has to
    have strength. And it will have the grace of a child's Disney castle ! The drawers look like they could be water tight if they
    had knobs instead of holes. Great stuff ! Good looking couple there and I'm pretty sure the photographer did not have to
    ask for the smile. All the best to them!
    Thanks Mel for your good wishes and kind feedback! I really appreciate your comments regarding scale/strength. I first got interested in hand tool woodworking reading James Krenov's books in the late 70s. I was really struck by what I saw as the "lightness" and frankly delicacy of some of his pieces, compared to blocky commercial furniture of the age. Consequently I've always had a bias towards "lighter" construction, which has definitely bitten me in the butt more than a few times when projects turned into firewood! I hope this one holds up a little better than saw my previous efforts

Best, Mike

As someone who has fly fished for over thirty years and taught Beginning fly tying for at least twenty five, I can safely say that most people start fly tying with the idea that you will save money on flies. It definitely does not work out that way, however he is going to have a lot of fun tying his own flies and ‘more so catching fish on them. Great job on the box. It looks like the right size to take on trips. I agree with Phil to have the drawers and side pieces loose. His is going to want to put a drawer with tools or materials on the table so that he is not always going back to the box while he is tying. Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Small things are much more challenging - there's so little margin for error.

Handsome piece!
    Kudos
    Jim, your comment could be no more spot on with regard to this build; rabbits joining sides/back/bottom of the carcass were a skinny 1/4" wide x 1/2" deep. Fortunately I was able to reinforce most joints with screws from the bottom which aren't visible. I really hope those #4, 3/4" wood screws hang in there – I'm really counting on them and Titebond to hold things together!

The 2nd//part of the build (that hopefully I'll get around to posting soon) involved super fussy fitting of hardware to secure chest front and top with appropriate reveal and fit. Suffice to say, 30 minutes before birthday party where our Son's fiancé was counting on presenting her gift, I was sweating through my fourth failed attempt at a workable hardware solution to make everything work. There was definitely cussing, tool throwing, and after the fact, more than a few cocktails required to relieve my frustrations.

With this project finished, I'm ready for something much larger and more robust - maybe involving 2/" x 4", nails, and measurements via tape measure. A family friend is doing some significant remodeling and I think I may have been drafted into framing/raising a few walls. For a hand tool woodworker like me who generally works in smaller/furniture size scale, house sized dimensions are terrifying!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Been a long time since I considered fly fishing. I suppose it is a tackle box since it contains some but is more a very elegant, portable workstation for the flyfisher. Very impressive and well done sir/
    Curt your exactly right. When my Son saw the finished project he quickly corrected me it's a fly tying station, not a tackle box. He further reinforced the correct description with a review of multiple issues of something like "fly tying magazine". My only request was that he take me along on a fishing trip, not complain when I was totally inept and provide a collection of flies I could frame and mounted on the wall so I can pretend I know what I'm talking about.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I saw those woodies working that whitewood over! Good application on the sliding bar measurement. I have something similar for checking diagonal measurements on drawers and carcases, but had not thought about using a shorter version for length measurements. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks David. Over the years I've increasingly begun to enjoy using shop made wooden planes. The fact is every plane is fun to use when planing "Whitewood" – even the ones I built myself seemed to work okay! The older I get, the less able I am to see the fine gradations on measuring tools. Consequently "story sticks" and other layout tools that only require me to cut pieces the same dimensions as layout tool, the better off I am.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting project your son will enjoy for years.

Many years ago one of my coworkers told me of fly fishing. He and others would take their kits along and then use a small net to see what kind of larva were in the water to see what the fish were likely feeding on. Then they could whip up a new fly and start fishing.

jtk
    Thanks JTK, I have to confess we were both a little weepy when he said this was something he looked forward to passing down to his own kids. The stuff I make is unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but somehow that comment struck a nerve with me. What more could any woodworker hope for. I guess sometimes a project just works out – who knew!

Yes you're right. Based on Reece's reaction it seems fly fisherman are super into making the flies specific to the appetite of the fish in their locale. I don't know, seems like a lot of work to me for fish they just end up releasing back into the water! I'm more of a "catch and eat" guy myself.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Christopher Charles;3036387] tell your son to be careful with the flyfishing habit...mine led to grad school in aquatic entomology and a career with fish...but i hardly ever fish now!

Christopher, you clearly have some impressive expert knowledge and expertise regarding the science of fly fishing and from what I understand, Idaho is legendarily ideal fly fishing territory!. As the father of two avid fly fisherman, I feel somehow obligated to explore a mutually beneficial arrangement; how about you share some of your knowledge with our Boys, and I .... ugggh … don't actually have anything of comparable value to offer – maybe some saws?

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Patterson View Post
    As someone who has fly fished for over thirty years and taught Beginning fly tying for at least twenty five, I can safely say that most people start fly tying with the idea that you will save money on flies. It definitely does not work out that way, however he is going to have a lot of fun tying his own flies and ‘more so catching fish on them. Great job on the box. It looks like the right size to take on trips. I agree with Phil to have the drawers and side pieces loose. His is going to want to put a drawer with tools or materials on the table so that he is not always going back to the box while he is tying. Thank you for sharing.
    Thanks Harold your informed suggestions. As a father with zero knowledge of fishing, I confess I'm jealous of your knowledge and expertise in a activity my boys are so passionate about. I welcome any of your suggestions about how I might be able to add some value to their experience, while in same time avoiding embarrassing miscues that are typically my forte.

Cheers, Mike

Something where you think like an Egyptian Architect?

Mike

Always willing to help. I relocated from Northern California in the fall of 2018. Your area is very nice with great weather as well.

Harold