Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Cut Walnut Veneer

Rotary Cut Walnut Veneer

I have an architect rejecting my shop drawing using plain sliced walnut, has anyone heard of or seen rotary cut walnut veneer?

Thanks
    James

Are you asking about raw veneer, or plywood? Why are you specifying the veneer? What did the architect originally specify?

Raw veneer, unless you have a source for walnut bonded door skins.
    Architect has specified rotary cut walnut

Given the nature of walnut, that's going to be a tougher row to hoe, I suspect, and yea, at a minimum, it's likely going to require laying it up custom from raw veneer once it's found. Specifying rotary cut (which is most often on the "cheap stuff" is a weird thing to me for a premium wood species!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

check with cut to size places, also some lumber companies one i used to deal with sold flitches of veneer. If they dont have it they will point you in the direction.. Never seen rotary walnut and rotary other stuff ive seen is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    check with cut to size places, also some lumber companies one i used to deal with sold flitches of veneer. If they dont have it they will point you in the direction.. Never seen rotary walnut and rotary other stuff ive seen is ugly.
    I priced the project using plain sliced, and can get quartered if needed, I was interested to see if rotary was available from any commercial source.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if the architect really knows what he wants. I've never seen rotary cut walnut veneer, probably because that would be a horrendous waste of fine wood. There's lots of rotary cut red oak out there & it's just about the ugliest stuff there is.

I never heard of rotary cut walnut. There are a few fine wood species that are rotary cut, such as birds eye maple, but not many.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Strange stuff. I'm guessing he means flat sawn ,with few straight lines. And I would not proceed without having him
    pick a pic of what he wants. You might even want to have a "minimum flashy " pic and a maximum "flashy pic".
    I won't say he's a nut ,but I've dealt with a bunch them.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 07-08-2020 at 3:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I wonder if the architect really knows what he wants...
    This ^^^^ I worked as an A&D product rep for about a year and a common scenario would be that the architect or designer shows some single sample to a client. Neither the client nor the designer really knows what that is other than "it's pretty". There were many times were a builder would contact us and have some off the wall request from the client, which required "backwards explaining" to try and get an understanding of what and why they chose it. Just my thoughts,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

He probably thinks rotary cut is the cheapest walnut veneer he can get. Give him prices for flat sawn, solid and rotary cut. For most woods rotary cut is the cheapest veneer so he probably thinks he is saving money. Why would he want rotary cut anyway? Do some people prefer the look?
    Bil lD

I don't think you can inform an architect in the same way you inform a client. But some that are pretty imperious get
    a lot more collegial when they have proclaimed themselves into a jam!

It's not very imaginable why you would want it, but someplace like Certainly Wood can tell you if it can be had. If it needs to be custom cut the price will probably get someone's attention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I don't think you can inform an architect in the same way you inform a client. But some that are pretty imperious get
    a lot more collegial when they have proclaimed themselves into a jam!
    I work with architects a fair bit, and most are quite good, but yes Mel, I've met a few that are just like you describe.

If you want skins, I used Indiana Architectural Plywood with wonderful results on a conference table top. They have ready access to all kinds of veneer. I'd certainly ask for a veneer sample or virtual sample with the architects signed approval before purchasing anything.