Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring Hand Drill?

Drill Rehab

I'm not going for a complete restoration, but since the drill really isn't working well (keeps binding), time to see if I can fix it.

Evapo-rust for the all metal parts today. Learned a few lessons from this.
    2020-07-25 11.35.22.jpg 2020-07-25 11.35.36.jpg It begins (Chuck removed wiped down with mineral spirits).

2020-07-25 11.45.50.jpgPartly disassembled.

2020-07-25 13.12.45.jpg After 2 hours in Evapo-rust (I pulled it at 1 hour scrubbed with wire brush under hot water then back into the tank).

2020-07-25 13.12.58.jpg Evapo-rust has changed from an almost neon yellow to... well... this color.

2020-07-25 13.17.15.jpg Lesson 1: Running water.
    I pulled this part which was pretty black after about an hour. I scrubbed with a wire brush and not much change. Then following the instructions from the product, and though it seems like just what you wouldn't want to do, I ran it under a (hot) tap water. The black stuff just rinsed off. I scrubbed a little more with the brush, but I have to say the rinse is what got the black stuff off. Color me surprised.
    I put it back into the tank for a bit longer, but didn't get much further improvement after another rinse. I dipped it in Evapo-rust then dried with paper towels. I will want to paint the outside, but for now it just has that light coat of evapo-rust protecting it from flash rusting.

2020-07-25 23.27.51.jpg The all metal parts were in the evapo-rust for several hours. The bits with wood I did a spray on rust remover after taping off the wood. For the crank handle, I had to use a rubberized abrasive block and steel wool to get most of the rust off. There is still some pitting. But I'm OK with ho wit looks now. I gave these parts a polish with Auto-sol to bring some shine back and (hopefully) prevent additional rusting while I finish the rehab.

2020-07-25 23.27.59.jpg Not sure what I'm going to do with this part. It must be the issue with binding, but disassembly is a little intimidating. I tried anyway, but the screw to get the whole deal apart was bound solid.
    This is now soaking overnight in mineral spirits.

Will see what that does for it tomorrow. Not sure if I should just put in into evapo-rust as is... or disassemble?

Place the entire assembly in a large Ziploc bag that can be tightly sealed. Immerse the works in WD40.

Allow 48-72 hours soak time.

*gently* turn the mechanism until free

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Place the entire assembly in a large Ziploc bag that can be tightly sealed. Immerse the works in WD40.

Allow 48-72 hours soak time.

*gently* turn the mechanism until free
    I don't know if it matters for the above advice, but it does turn, it just sometimes (and getting more frequent) gets a bit stuck and feels like it is "skipping".
    Is the WD-40 soak to unbind rust or...?

I couldn't be certain without a tear down, but skipping sounds like a broken tooth or misaligned cog.

Like an old car, some things are better left as they are.

Anyone know if these were originally painted?
    What about maintenance, oil? But where?

The charcoal gray/black that you have is the original color. As for oil, look for the little holes on the drill like you see in the first picture of your post #16 above, and add 2-3 drops of light oil like 3-1 to those locations. I also add 2-3 drops to the selector switch and let that soak in. Otherwise, it should be ready to go back to work.

How do I get this apart?

2020-07-27 18.39.19.jpg Anyone know how to get this apart? Simple pushing didn't do anything. I don't want to break it.

This piece is in for a 24 (or more) hour WD-40 soak. Hopefully that will let me take it apart.

Finished Save for Paint

2020-07-28 18.08.03.jpg 2020-07-28 18.08.08.jpg 2020-07-28 18.08.16.jpg

The etching in the cylinder is still hard to read but it polished up pretty good. I'm concerned about rust on the big wheel gear (disk) part. Thinking I should paint the outside at least? Everything else got 3-in-1 oil pretty liberally. No broken teeth anywhere, all the functions work. I've not yet tried drilling anything.