Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thinking about getting a Minimax FS 41ES - Thoughts?

OK, with pictures, its official now: hope you get lots of good use out of that machine: its a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cox View Post
    Spent a good hour last night getting the sticky stuff off it. Got a power cord for it today. Will wire it up this evening.

Attachment 451754

Attachment 451756

Attachment 451757

Ha I think it took longer to get the pictures to show up on this forum then it did to get that beast off the pallet...

Ok. I am getting this setup and have a few questions.

My fence does not slide forward and back very easy. All the video's i have seen online they move it with ease with one hand. I have to push on back of rod and fence real hard to get it to move. It looks very close to the table as well but that may be expected...

I assume the fence needs to be nearly all the way forward for it not to hit the back when opening the lid. This is how mine currently works.

I cant get the lever on the inlet table to budge. Manual and online videos show it easily moving up and down. Suggestions?

There is this metal guard that sits behind the fence over the cutter. Is it supposed to attach to something? If so I may be missing the hardware to attach it.

I also have this long silver pin that is like 12" long. I have no idea what it is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cox View Post
    Ok. I am getting this setup and have a few questions.

My fence does not slide forward and back very easy. All the video's i have seen online they move it with ease with one hand. I have to push on back of rod and fence real hard to get it to move. It looks very close to the table as well but that may be expected...

Sounds like the fence on my FS41E: some wax will go a long way to help with this.

I assume the fence needs to be nearly all the way forward for it not to hit the back when opening the lid. This is how mine currently works.

There is a detent that locks the fence in the forward position. Should use the locking lever in addition, just to be safe.

I cant get the lever on the inlet table to budge. Manual and online videos show it easily moving up and down. Suggestions?

Are you referring to the level adjustment?

There is this metal guard that sits behind the fence over the cutter. Is it supposed to attach to something? If so I may be missing the hardware to attach it.

It is attached to the back of the fence and covers the cutter head through the travel of the fence. The one on my machine has a small section at the end that is hinged.

I also have this long silver pin that is like 12" long. I have no idea what it is for.
    Ha: that was a mystery for a long time: I decided it was meant to temporarily lock the cutter head while I torqued down the mortising chuck. You will find a hole drilled on the cutter head shaft toward the front of the machine close to the bearing. Not sure if that's what it was designed for, but it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Ha: that was a mystery for a long time: I decided it was meant to temporarily lock the cutter head while I torqued down the mortising chuck. You will find a hole drilled on the cutter head shaft toward the front of the machine close to the bearing. Not sure if that's what it was designed for, but it worked well.
    I will see if I can find some wax.

Yes I am referring to the level adjustment i suppose. The manual calls it a lever on the inlet table. It is on the right side of the machine and used to take the right side table up and down to adjust how much your are taking off at a time when operating the jointer.

Have any pictures of how this metal guard attaches?

Here are pics of the height adjustment mechanism on my machine: the FS41es might be different.
    And pic of the cutter head guard: just a couple of screws attach it to the back of the fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Here are pics of the height adjustment mechanism on my machine: the FS41es might be different.
    And pic of the cutter head guard: just a couple of screws attach it to the back of the fence.
    Thanks for the pics... I can't view them but I got it going. Had to use some WD40 on the lever and found where the guard went. If it wasn't 15 degrees in the shop i would be playing with this guy. One more week and it will warm up. I can't wait.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Phil, how did you modify the turn wheel like that? Looks like you put a 3/8 or 1/2" drive socket in the center.