Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AVID Benchtop CNC Primarily for 4th axis/Rotary

I already do a ton of 3d Modeling. I have a lot of things Cast using 3d printed wax models.

Interesting idea about bringing them to CNC shops. But is there such a place that I could go to that understands working in wood? I've looked for local places who do 4th axis stuff with wood and never could find any.

Also, this is my full time job, I'd rather be doing the work myself. The amount of times I've been happy with giving work to someone else instead of doing it myself (if I can) I can count on one hand, or maybe even one finger.

Nice stuff Paul. Yeah, that's certainly in the ballpark of what I'm looking to do. Did you make the bat on the a lathe, or using the Avid?

No I do not turn bats.
    I just added the engraving to bats I have on hand to engrave for awards, promotions and such.
    The pictures are of a sample I keep in the shop to show customers.
    I figured that was what you were looking for, to engrave the flats/key profiles and/or to add decorations to have your product really stand out.
    Really pretty easy to do.

Nathaniel, I took a look at your website, beautiful work! You clearly know your way around wood and tools, it seems to me your thinking is pretty sound.

I once met a flute maker in Elkins WV who was using mini cnc lathes and mills in his work. I think his name was John Gallagher, perhaps he'd share his experience. Also met a pipe maker in the Ithaca area, Mark Cushing, who used a huge Bridgeport Series II cnc mill. They are often available almost free, being so obsolete for machinists.

Ok, someone needs to ask this question, and as a banjo maker it falls to me: Are indoor bagpipes like indoor rifles - a lot quieter, but still lethal? Sorry.

Richard,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I certainly know enough about wood and tools to get myself in trouble.

And thanks for the suggestions! I know of John Gallagher. His work is very well regarded. And my first set of bagpipes was from Mark Cushing! I actually would love one of those old Bridgeports. We had one when I was apprenticing. But my workshop would immediately fall down if I could somehow even get it inside.

I've sent a note to John Gallagher.
    Last edited by Nathaniel Banton; 07-09-2020 at 11:16 AM.