Thread: Anderson storm door closer noise + resistance

Anderson storm door closer noise + resistance

Hi,
    I just installed an Anderson 4000 series full view storm door 32 x 80, and everything went fine according to the instructions. Prior to this install I have installed four previous storm doors, by Pella and Larson. One of those previous installs is at the front door to my house now and it is a 36 wide Pella full view which after 15 years still opens and closes perfectly.

My question concerns a ratcheting noise and what feels like too much resistance when opening the door from the closers on this new Anderson 4000.
    Does anyone out there have an Anderson 4000 and can they confirm for me that the bottom closer makes a slight ratcheting sound due to the machined rings in the closer rod?

I have called the Anderson helpline and they said I should wait a month for break-in to see if it gets better and if it’s the same they will send me new closers.
    It could be that I’m used to the Pella opening easily and closing gently and now this Anderson which has much more resistance to opening feels unusual but it could be normal for this door.
    The adjustment screw in the bottom and top closers does function as intended; so the problem is not the closing tension it’s when opening the door.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Isn't there any adjustment

There is no adjustment for the strength of the closer as in resistance to being pushed open. The only adjustment is that how quickly it closes

I installed my door same one as yours) a few years ago. The bottom closer has the rings you describe, but it doesn't make a noise upon opening other a slight hiss. It is a little stiffer to open than previous doors I have used, but not really objectionable. You might try engaging and disengaging the lock on the closer if you haven't already. It could be that it is dragging a little.