Thread: Drill Chuck for Post Drill

Drill Chuck for Post Drill

I need a good quality keyed drill chuck, mounted on a 1/2" diameter x 2" long straight shaft. I would prefer it to handle bits from 0 to 1/2 inch. I am mounting it on an old post drill, so it does not need to be some high speed nuclear powered thing, but I think it will probably have more torque on it than a lot of the light duty drill presses I see, and will need to hold the bits securely.

My search skills are failing me. I am coming up with thousands of morse taper mounts, and gazillions of made in china stuff that could be great or could be not so great. I am having trouble finding what I want. Any experts out there who can lend some advice? Is there a particular manufacturer I should be looking for? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nick

I can't say I know much about this stuff, but can you get the parts from McMaster-Carr?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-chucks

These arbors might be what you need:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-chuck...huck-arbors-6/

Will this work, JT to 1/2" arbor:

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-Chuck-S.../dp/B015NMGAFS

It doesn't say how long the 1/2" shaft is but if too long maybe it can be cut shorter.

The other end should fit most chucks. I have at least seven jacobs chucks and they all use the same taper on the chuck body.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Will this work, JT to 1/2" arbor:

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-Chuck-S.../dp/B015NMGAFS

It doesn't say how long the 1/2" shaft is but if too long maybe it can be cut shorter.

The other end should fit most chucks. I have at least seven jacobs chucks and they all use the same taper on the chuck body.
    Gentlemen, this was helpful. Thanks you both. I have ordered a chuck and will let you know how it works out.

Hi Nicholas - I a post drill for which I purchased this chuck, Jacobs 41 Medium Duty Drill Chuck 0-3/8" Capacity with 1/2" Diameter Straight Shank & Key Turret Lathe Tool, from amazon. It's worked fine for my purposes but I cannot say I've put a lot of torque on it as the maximum shank size of bit it will hold isn't too large. I'm planning to get a second chuck that holds larger bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    Hi Nicholas - I a post drill for which I purchased this chuck, Jacobs 41 Medium Duty Drill Chuck 0-3/8" Capacity with 1/2" Diameter Straight Shank & Key Turret Lathe Tool, from amazon. It's worked fine for my purposes but I cannot say I've put a lot of torque on it as the maximum shank size of bit it will hold isn't too large. I'm planning to get a second chuck that holds larger bits.
    I wanted something that would hold a 1/2" bit. I went with the HHIP 3701-0108 Pro-Series Precision Drill Chuck with Key, Jt33 Taper Mount, 1/64" - 1/2" Capacity

It is really hard to tell what is quality, and what is junk. I will let you know if it works out.

What do you have for a post drill? I picked up a Buffalo Forge 146, which I cannot find in either of the catalogs I have been able to find. Looking forward to getting a chuck on it and trying it out.

Hi - I actually have 2, a champion blower and a Silver Denning No 2. You should join I forge iron. it's a blacksmithing forum and lots of people there have post drills

Sold one for parts a while back...
    IMAG0006.jpg
    fuller view.jpg
    And, this was the chuck it had on it..
    chuck.jpg
    Sold it on the auction site a few years back
    IMAG0010.JPG
    Was just missing too many parts, for me to use...