Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tablesaw, Repair or Repalce

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Was not that long ago. .
    The Craftsman 113 dates to the 1980s.

I do agree with the desirability for safety features, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Sounds like it has bronze bushings not ball bearings. I would dump it for that reason alone.
    Bill D

WHY? We had a fan motor in our old furnace that had oil lite bushings. It ran 27/7/365, except for servicing and power outages for 38 years. Unfortunately the BB motor in the outdoor unit didn't last anywhere as long.

Nick, where are you located. If near Portland,OR I have a extra 113 motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Nick, where are you located. If near Portland,OR I have a extra 113 motor.

I appreciate it, but I am in the Chicago Burbs, so a little ways away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    WHY? We had a fan motor in our old furnace that had oil lite bushings. It ran 27/7/365, except for servicing and power outages for 38 years. Unfortunately the BB motor in the outdoor unit didn't last anywhere as long.
    And the furnace I have in the shop, which I got out of an old house about 20 years ago is at least 50 years old, with its original motor. Just bushings.

You can buy a motor at Harbor Freight fairly cheap. 1 1/2HP is the bare minimum for a table saw.

I started out 35 yrs ago with a similar saw, the fence was horrible, it was woefully underpowered and therefor very unsafe. I would suggest you think about the value & safety of the saw before spending any money.

If you’re budget is limited, there are newer models you can pick up used for little more then the cost of a motor.

Here are a few things to look for in a table saw:

1. Cast iron top
    2. Cast iron trunnions, mounted to top, not frame.
    3. Biesmeyer type fence
    4. Induction motor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

1. Cast iron top
    3. Biesmeyer type fence
    4. Induction motor
    #2 might cause confusion. cabinet mounted trunions are preferable to table mounted, but a saw with table mounted will likely be less expensive.

Watch for a PM66 or Unisaw in excellent condition.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Most likely your motor will have two capacitors. One for starting and one for running. If you say it's tripping the breaker even after spinning the motor to help it get going it could be the run capacitor that's bad. My suggestion is if you want to repair this motor get yourself a cheap multimeter. Just confirm that it has a capacitor measuring function. Harbor Freight has one for just over $20. Then you can measure the caps and the motor coils. It doesn't take too much skill to learn how to use one and you'll find plenty of uses for it over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    You can buy a motor at Harbor Freight fairly cheap. 1 1/2HP is the bare minimum for a table saw.

I started out 35 yrs ago with a similar saw, the fence was horrible, it was woefully underpowered and therefor very unsafe. I would suggest you think about the value & safety of the saw before spending any money.

If you’re budget is limited, there are newer models you can pick up used for little more then the cost of a motor.

1. Cast iron top
    3. Biesmeyer type fence
    4. Induction motor

More cabinets have been built using that series of saw than any other. You ask why? Because back in the day everybody had a Sears charge card. Ten bucks a month for the next two years, and you could have a table saw. In 1984, in one purchase, I bought table saw, radial arm saw, band saw and drill press. In the following years, I made enough signs from styrafoam to not only pay for saws, but also a couple of Buicks, plus house payments

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Nick, I'm not sure what the best way to go here is...even "cheap" motors are not inexpensive these days and non-industrial motor repair is clearly a challenge, too.
    I guess it's been a while since I've looked at motor prices. You're not kidding about "cheap" motors not being cheap, around $200 for a 1 h.p. motor. That favors a new saw. I was able to pick up an old 1/2 h.p. motor for $25 off Craigs List but that sort of thing requires patience and luck. My Craftsman saw had an open drip proof motor, dust could get to the motor's innards.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-09-2020 at 7:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I guess it's been a while since I've looked at motor prices. You're not kidding about "cheap" motors not being cheap, around $200 for a 1 h.p. motor. That favors a new saw. I was able to pick up an old 1/2 h.p. motor for $25 off Craigs List but that sort of thing requires patience and luck. My Craftsman saw had an open drip proof motor, dust could get to the motor's innards.
    Yea, I was actually looking at this recently because I have an old HF 14" bandsaw in my garage that a friend left with me when he moved to Idaho and it needs a motor so I can clean it up and sell it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm getting old. I can remember when Harbor Freight sold Century electric motors. I think they were made in Mexico or some other non Chinese factory. A 5hp motor cost less than $100 bucks. If I remember correctly they had a 2hp and 3hp as well. I still have that 5hp kicking around somewhere. It's been on more than one air compressor over the decades.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Costa View Post
    It is an older craftsman table saw Model number 113.27610.
    That is a nice older Craftsman and they seem to go for about $100 if in working order. I have Grandpa's version that he bought new. He got the fence option (which is poor) and added his own motor. The motor has oil cups so I await an opportunity to find a cheap motor and turn this into a crosscutting station; very small footprint.

GpaSaw.jpg

I have tried a few times but, they bring so little money I just haven't been able to part with it. Your idea of finding some other clunker with a decent motor at a garage sale is a good one. The motor running one of my shop made tools was off a saw that I got for $40 at a yard sale and junked.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler