Thread: Smooth move of the week

Smooth move of the week

Shamelessly borrowing the theme from a segment on the FWW podcast, I have two smooth moves for this week (so far).

While thicknessing a bunch of stock, I got into a rhythm and didn't notice the flashing dust bin full light. Filter wasn't too plugged up but it still took an hour to get it clean. That's an hour of my life I won't get back

Prior to that smooth move, I had to face and edge joint all that stock. As I was setting up my combo machine to jointer mode, I got a phone call. After the call I face jointed the first piece and couldn't understand why it wasn't getting flat. Turns out if you don't lock down the jointer tables, the jointer doesn't work so well......

Anybody else want to share their smooth moves?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Was gluing up the base for my new workbench, put glue in the wrong mortises. Didn't realize until it was all clamped up and the squeze out wasn't squeze out. Luck for me I did put glue on shoulders and tenon and tight fitting joints.

Blog Entries
    I've plugged my filters twice (slow learner) and am absolutely amazed at how tightly the dust packs in. Darn near like mortar.

A molding head making "V" groove siding can fill up the trash can under cyclone PRONTO! DAMHIK

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I've plugged my filters twice (slow learner) and am absolutely amazed at how tightly the dust packs in. Darn near like mortar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    A molding head making "V" groove siding can fill up the trash can under cyclone PRONTO! DAMHIK
    Thinking about rigging up a time delay relay to shut down the blower after the bin sensor trips for, say, 5 or 10 seconds. Or maybe just wire a slave warning light and put it right on the j/p. That's the only machine I have that fills the bin quickly.

Paul, I've done both of those things, no fun.

I put a large LED beacon like an emergency vehicle would have in the ceiling of the shop, no ignoring it when the level sensor triggers...........Rod.

12 Volt Beacon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Paul, I've done both of those things, no fun.

I put a large LED beacon like an emergency vehicle would have in the ceiling of the shop, no ignoring it when the level sensor triggers...........Rod.

12 Volt Beacon.jpg
    Yeah, that may be the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Yeah, that may be the ticket!
    I had to use a relay and a 12V 5 ampere power supply to drive the beacon. The relay is in my bin sensor design....Rod.

As I was setting up my combo machine to jointer mode, I got a phone call. After the call I ......
    Many of my smooth moves start with "I got a call' or "I went into the house for a moment" orsomething similar. Picking up exactly where you left off is harder than it sounds!

Ha: done both of those things, although perhaps not on the same day. Welcome to life in the shop!

Shamelessly borrowing the theme from a segment on the FWW podcast, I have two smooth moves for this week (so far).

While thicknessing a bunch of stock, I got into a rhythm and didn't notice the flashing dust bin full light. Filter wasn't too plugged up but it still took an hour to get it clean. That's an hour of my life I won't get back

Prior to that smooth move, I had to face and edge joint all that stock. As I was setting up my combo machine to jointer mode, I got a phone call. After the call I face jointed the first piece and couldn't understand why it wasn't getting flat. Turns out if you don't lock down the jointer tables, the jointer doesn't work so well......

Anybody else want to share their smooth moves?

No need to always "blame something" as I'm betting you're all under 40 years old

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    No need to always "blame something" as I'm betting you're all under 40 years old

Bruce
    In dog years maybe....