Thread: Box 3: Small Box

Box 3: Small Box

Made a small box. It's roughly 11"x6"x6", and made of maple and purple heart. Used plywood for base of box and tray.
    Finished using shellac. Will add some velvet on tray and box bottom after few days.

Front: Happy how the keyhole turned up. Lock was added after box was all built. Was worried that key hole will turn up bad.

IMG_20200705_174435.jpg

Side: Third attempt at hand cutting dovetails. First two attempts (on other boxes) turned up too bad and ended up re-cutting them using router.
    Have given up through dovetails for now. I am finding half-blinding dovetails easier.
    There were gaps in dovetails, and they were fixed with small wedges.

IMG_20200705_174519.jpg

Tray: The purple area in center will have some text in off-white color engraved once I decide what I will keep in the box.
    Outside of tray is slanted in front to allow lid to close and is slanted on right side to insert it in box.

IMG_20200705_174601.jpg

Inside: Bottom tray support is a mistake. I oriented the board wrong. Decided to keep it.
    Lock was after thought. Originally wanted a hasp but could not find a good one so went with the lock.

IMG_20200705_174617.jpg

Finishing maple went easy. Wet sanded till 3K and then lightly buffed.
    Purple heart was a nightmare. No amount of sanding was giving a uniform look.
    Ended up using polishing compound and a buffing with wax.

Another one Anuj! Nice, nice box with dovetails that look good from here. There is no way I could end up with a keyhole to match that one unless I made 27 or so practice keyholes first. You sanded to 3,000 grit? You need to see someone about that.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Another one Anuj! Nice, nice box with dovetails that look good from here. There is no way I could end up with a keyhole to match that one unless I made 27 or so practice keyholes first. You sanded to 3,000 grit? You need to see someone about that.
    Thanks David!

That keyhole is the only one I have ever made. Got lucky!

I have some vision of finish I have in my head. Difficult to explain. Something, like soft glass. Not satin. More like old patina wood covered in thin glass. Chasing that look. One day will reach there!

I really like the combination of purpleheart and maple - especially on the inside of the lid. I never thought of letting the tray extend/insert into the top and I have a place or two where that would be useful. Thanks Anuj!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think it looks great. I like the idea of sanding to 3k. The "feel" of a workpiece is an underrated goal. Objects that will be touched a lot like a box, should feel smooth and inviting to the touch. Glossy finishes on boxes make me not want to touch them for fear of leaving fingerprints. You obviously took a lot of care in sanding to keep those crisp edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I really like the combination of purpleheart and maple - especially on the inside of the lid. I never thought of letting the tray extend/insert into the top and I have a place or two where that would be useful. Thanks Anuj!
    Thanks Frederick! Glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I think it looks great. I like the idea of sanding to 3k. The "feel" of a workpiece is an underrated goal. Objects that will be touched a lot like a box, should feel smooth and inviting to the touch. Glossy finishes on boxes make me not want to touch them for fear of leaving fingerprints. You obviously took a lot of care in sanding to keep those crisp edges.
    Thanks Stan!

Had to let go of ROS and do it by hand. In my hands, ROS makes the edges rounded

I had been trying feel of various waxes. The tool wax that Lee valley carries is very resistant to finger marks, but it's on costlier side.