Thread: Economic Impact Payment Card Notice

Blog Entries

Economic Impact Payment Card Notice

Many folks didn't know that some U.S. citizens were sent Economic Impact Payments as a prepaid credit card.

Some may have tossed them in the trash or recycling thinking they were junk mail.

To help folks receive the payment notices are being sent to those who haven't activated their cards. The envelope should look like this:

Economic Impact Payment Card.png

Here are links to more information:

https://www.nclc.org/images/MN_EIP_Envelope_Comp_V4.pdf

https://www.nclc.org/images/MN_EIP_M...evised-fnl.pdf

https://www.nclc.org/media-center/al...aid-cards.html

There is also a warning on the last link stating there are scumbags out there trying to scam people.

The phone number on the letter should match the number on their site > 1.800.240.8100

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There was a thread about the cards about a month ago...and yes, some of us got the payment via the debit card. I did nearly throw it out, but checked with CFBP and verified it was legitimate. I activated the card and then immediately transferred the money to my normal checking account. You do NOT need to use the card to spend the money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

About two weeks after we received our check, we got a notice telling us it would be coming as a debit card, which thankfully we haven't received. If you think it's bad owing the government money, just try to give them back their money. My dad's first cousin suddenly started receiving Social Security checks, even though he was working. He would send the check back, only to receive a replacement for returned check. Finally upon lawyers advice, he opened a "trust account," with him. as trustee. Always marked checks for deposit only into this account. Finally after about five years, someone in SS office figured out that he wasn't entitled to them. They came after him pronto, wanting both money, fines and possibility of serving time for fraud. Because he had deposited them into a "trust account" there was nothing they could do except recover their money.

What was the rationale for some getting debit cards and most getting checks (if not paid via direct deposit)? I am glad I got a check as I just did a mobile deposit into my checking account right away.

It's not clear why some got the checks and some got the cards, Brian. Like I mentioned, I got the card (for a whopping $210.16), activated it and transferred the money to my normal checking account. That took just a few minutes...pretty much equivalent of a mobile check deposit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    What was the rationale for some getting debit cards and most getting checks (if not paid via direct deposit)? I am glad I got a check as I just did a mobile deposit into my checking account right away.

Check an see if one of Trumps buddies is connected to the debit cards. Always follow the money trail.

We got the debit cards and I nearly threw them away without opening the envelope. I also transferred the money from the card to my checking account, but there was a limit on how much you could transfer in a day and how much you could trasfer at a time. I could transfer mine all in one day, but had to split it up in 3 tranfers to complete it. I too, wonder who is making money off the debit cards, since I'm sure if I used them someone was charging the merchant for processing fees.

I understand there are fees for using the card. Of course paid to the issuing company. Best to just deposit the amount to your bank account.