Thread: CV Max impeller damage

CV Max impeller damage

I am finally getting around to repairing my CV Max dust collector. I had a chunk of perforated stainless steel (guessing about 12 gauge) get sucked up in the floor sweep. It first went around the cyclone body before getting sucked into the impeller and breaking the impeller housing. I have not been working in the shop much but am finally getting some time to work out here and need my DC back working. I have a new housing part from CV and also bought a new impeller. I am wondering if I should replace it as the damage is fairly minor or keep it for later in the event I have a bigger problem down the road. All of the damage (see below) is mostly just scratches and minor dings. I don’t see any bends in the blades except one and it looks like it’s less than a 1/16th of an inch. How precision do these impellers need to be. I have run it a few times since the accident to see if it sounds like its damaged but to my ear it sounds “normal”. What’s your guys thoughts? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something like an impeller is going to work best if it's balanced...that may be part of your decision process on whether or not to exchange the damaged one for the new part. You may not hear any issues, but "potentially" it could put more strain on the bearings, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I emailed CV as well to get their opinion but I think I am just going to replace it. I have torn both rotator cuffs so working on this thing over head in a very tight closet it challenging but it’s the right thing to do. Thanks

There is a whole lot of energy in that mass of metal at full RPM. A lot. Be very sure it’s safe to use.

seen fans damaged way worse than that run for years, myself I would leave it alone and use as it is.
    Your call
    good luck
    Ron

I ended up getting some help this afternoon and replacing the impeller. Rather be safe than sorry. I also just finished resealing the new impeller housing. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the system back together and can start working dust free again. I cut up a bunch of shelves for a new closet from melamine MDF last weekend and it’s amazing how much of a mess a table saw can make . Anyways if anyone is in the SF Bay Area and wants this old impeller to repair it’s yours to have at your own risk. Send me a PM. Thanks