Thread: Saw blade sharpening

Saw blade sharpening

I have three Forrest WWII saw blades to sharpen, is there a local sharpening service that someone can recommend near Lancaster PA or am I better off sending them back to forrest?

Thanks,
    Shawn

I use Dynamic Saw in buffalo NY. Great folks. Great CS.
    https://www.dynamicsaw.com/index.html
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    I used Dynamic saw too, very happy with the results
    Dennis

I'm another Dynamic user. Nice guys there that do a Good job. My Forrest blade came back as good as it was when new.

Dynamic for the win. Great service, top quality work, and way cheaper than Forrest.

Dynamic Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Siegrist View Post
    I have three Forrest WWII saw blades to sharpen, is there a local sharpening service that someone can recommend near Lancaster PA or am I better off sending them back to forrest?

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Just sent 5 blades and a hand full of router bits to them from Santa Barbara.

I was just about to ask about jointer knives. But I’ll still ask a few questions.

Are jointer knives always installed so the bottom edge is in contact with the cutterhead surface?
    Is there a life on knives, so that the number of sharpening times is limited?
    What determines if you choose to have miter saw or table saw blades sharpened or replaced?
    Thanks

Are jointer knives always installed so the bottom edge is in contact with the cutterhead surface?
    Nope. depends on the jointer how they're installed. Mine rest on springs.

Yes, but it's not a strict number of times that you can write down. Again, it depends on your knives.

What determines if you choose to have miter saw or table saw blades sharpened or replaced?
    For me it's all about cost. Even on my 'premium" blades that are designed to be resharpened. An 80 -100 tooth blades is pretty costly to have sharpened. If I can find a good blade for about what a sharpening costs, then I buy it. I generally cant find a quality 40t tablesaw blade for less than the sharpening cost though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sherwood View Post
    I was just about to ask about jointer knives. But I’ll still ask a few questions.

Thanks
    Installing jointer knives is both. a science and an art. Check out some you tube videos. As for number of sharpenings, it depends upon amount of carbide that was originally on blades, and how heavy sharpeners hand is, plus over all damage. Usually as to replace, or sharpen depends upon original cost of blades. + on Dynamic Saw!

Thanks guys. My knives also are supported by springs and I think there is plenty of life left. I’m rebuilding this machine and am just coming up to speed.

Thanks everyone, I’ll check Dynamic out!

I was disappointed with Forrest. I sent in a WWII and it came back with run out which was not there before. They said they don't check for that.