Thread: New Portable Saw for Trim and Baseboard

New Portable Saw for Trim and Baseboard

In the past I used a 10" Rigid to install MDF baseboards. While it got the job done, the dust collection was absent (had to use it in the garage, not convenient), I nearly had to use double hearing protection, the blade guard interfered with small cuts, and the power switch location was unsafe for ambidextrous use. I was happy to give that away to someone who was actually going to "chop" wood, LOL.

I'm needing a new saw to install baseboards in two large rooms (all bull nose), and wainscot. I cannot plastic off the spaces being lived in, so dust collection (using my festool vac) is important.
    I have other ways to chop wood, so I'm placing cut accuracy as important for a new saw.

Because of the need to cut small pieces for the bull nose corners, five inches tall and about one inch wide, a saw with a poor throat (too big, uneven with table) isn't going to work.

My head is spinning comparing all the saws. While a $1500 Kapex 120 probably fits the bill (with the exception of 12"), that's a lot of money for a tool that for right now, will see two jobs.

Any help narrowing down a saw (or saw type) for trim/baseboard/wainscot that has dust collection and accuracy, would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Hand miter box. I used my old millers falls more than my kapex for base and shoe.

I had an old Craftsman with vertical guides made of metal and plastic; I could cut straighter with my eyes closed!

Sat it atop my trash can years ago. Not sure if it got picked up by someone before the trash came, and is frustrating a new owner as it did me.

Perhaps something more like a Stanley #358, #360, or #460 may be closer to what Darcy is referencing?

(Nothing against Millers Falls, but I just don't know them)

I can understand how something with a lot of plastic would be frustrating.

Regardless, best of luck with the search and projects!

-Mike

The Nobex manual miter saw would be a good choice.
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...onal-miter-box

Nice to also have a miter trimmer if you decide to go the manual route.
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...-miter-trimmer

If you search Fleabay for “Lion Miter Trimmer” you can often get them for less than the above Lee Valley one.

I trimmed out houses I built, with a Langdon-Acme (no plastic parts) for two and a half decades before anyone made a power miter saw I liked. I still have that miter box, that I bought new, and it still works like one should. It's not really That much slower than a power saw, and makes a much smaller mess.

These days, for complicated work, I'd add a Lee Valley shooting plane, and build or buy a board. You will also need a coping saw, so might as well add a good one, and still come in way below budget discussed so far. I still use this setup sometimes if I don't want to bother to set up a complicated dust collection system. Cleanup is whisk broom, and dust pan.

I used to use a Lion Miter trimmer, but sold it after I bought the shooting plane.

Mike,

I've retrimmed my house using mostly my old 10 inch CMS. It is not a slider. My baseboard is not high due to the location of some of the electrical outlets and HVAC registers. So a non-sliding 10 inch worked. Dust collection is not good so I cut the trim, especially the MDF (which I used except in bathroom) in my car garage. I like the 12 inch CMS (also not a slider) in my shop better but it is semi-permanently mounted to a bench that would not always accomidate the 16-17 foot sticks of molding I was using.

When it is within the capacity of the saw, I think a non-slider is desirable based both on price and accuracy. I get decent dust collection on the 12 inch by using a 1.5 inch hose on the saws dust collection point and a suction point for the DC behind the saw. Moving a DC room to room is not very practical, however. My 10 inch can also take a sop vac hose but I did not bother, it doesn't get that much of the dust.

I understand not wanting to walk to the garage to make cuts, I did not love it either. But I think it was the right answer, at least for me. Sometimes I did it several times for one piece of trim. But I did not identify what I would consider a reasonably priced CMS with good dust collection. I also really did not want to have to clean up MDF dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I understand not wanting to walk to the garage to make cuts, I did not love it either.
    Especially when its a two story house!

Well I just gave away an 8" Rockwell miter saw which would been good by laying trim flat. Any miter saw would work,most come with dust bag but not perfect. Are invest in one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images

I absolutely love my 12" non sliding Dewalt miter saw. Have done a shit ton. of interior finish with this saw. When the first one finally got tired I without hesitation bought another.
    Follow Carroll's suggestion for dust control

Blog Entries
    I'm with Dan regarding a simple 12" Dewalt saw. I had a fancy manual miter box years ago. Try taking another 1/16" off with one. No go. A trimmer would be nice.
    NOW you tell me...