Thread: OEM v aftermarket urethane tires for 17" Griz bandsaw (G0513)

OEM v aftermarket urethane tires for 17" Griz bandsaw (G0513)

The upper tire on my bandsaw has grown tired/loose enough to start working it's way off during use and I need to replace it (was thinking about gluing it, but from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be a recommended approach).

OEM tires from Grizzly are $27, and will probably include shipping since their free shipping deals usually don't apply to parts (haven't checked that). Link here: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...s-Pair-/T23071

Carter doesn't appear to make urethane tires for 17" saws, but this place does: https://shop.polybelt.com/SET-of-2-B...A-T23071X2.htm for almost exactly twice the price ($54) though with free shipping.

I searched the forum for previous threads and didn't find anything relevant (makes me think I didn't choose the search terms well). Thoughts on which way I should go?

Thanks.

Dave

I would order two tires since they have seen equal use. Same item, price, support the OEM so they stay in business.
    Bill D

I recently put the Carter blue urethane tires on my 14" Rikon BS. Not real happy with them. They are slightly undersize in width and it was difficult to get the tire on the wheel with even tension around the wheel. Getting a blade to track properly can be a bit frustrating. I may put OEM tires back on.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I replaced the tires on my 19" Grizzly not long after I got it with some from a company called Blue Max. Day and night difference. With the Grizzly ones the saw would vibrate pretty badly. With the Blue Max I can stand a dime on edge, start it up, and shut it off without it falling over. They are made in the US and come with a lifetime warranty. My saw is only a year old so I can't comment on longevity but so far they are great.

Have no experience with grizzly,however have seen quite a few threads talking about the tires that come on the machine being less than stellar. I would replace with aftermarket tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I replaced the tires on my 19" Grizzly not long after I got it with some from a company called Blue Max. Day and night difference. With the Grizzly ones the saw would vibrate pretty badly. With the Blue Max I can stand a dime on edge, start it up, and shut it off without it falling over. They are made in the US and come with a lifetime warranty. My saw is only a year old so I can't comment on longevity but so far they are great.

Currently running the orange ones, but next set will definitely come from Blue Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I had the same experience as Alex. The Blue Max tires from eBay cured vibration in my grizzly 19" saw. It went from being pretty annoying to dead smooth. I can't recommend the Blue Max tires enough

Thanks all. I decided to give the Blue Max a try, same price as other urethane tires.

Best,

Dave