Thread: Rust Prevention - Surprising Results

Rust Prevention - Surprising Results

I just came across the 2 year old video linked below by Fireball Tool testing a variety of rust prevention treatments. The results were surprising. My regimen for care of cast iron table tops has been to use Johnson Paste Wax applied every few months. The Minwax Paste Wax used in the test is probably the same so it looks like I made the right choice.

Blog Entries
    Yep, Johnson's Paste Wax for almost 2 decades here. No rust problems.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agree, paste was solves most issues//.
    Jerry

No real problems here but summer humidity seldom over 35% probably helps. No dew all summer long.
    no silicones allowed.
    major flaw in that video since it did not mention location or climate. I think it may have rained but who knows? I did not see any salt air or dust storms either. I could leave a piece of metal out all summer long and see no rust at all, that proves nothing. If the air is damp and the temperature is high rust will occur faster.
    OP probably lives in Jamaica if he worries so much about rust.
    there is a reason aircraft are stored in the desert. and it is not just that the land is cheap.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-06-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Which one protects best from sweat in a un-air conditioned shop in Texas in summer. Almost all of my rust problems are associated with droplets of sweat and you can see literally rust droplets form after a day in the shop (even trying to mop them up when they occur). Someday intend to AC my Garage shop, maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    No real problems here but summer humidity seldom over 35% probably helps. No dew all summer long.
    no silicones allowed.
    major flaw in that video since it did not mention location or climate. I think it may have rained but who knows? I did not see any salt air or dust storms either. I could leave a piece of metal out all summer long and see no rust at all, that proves nothing. If the air is damp and the temperature is high rust will occur faster.
    OP probably lives in Jamaica if he worries so much about rust.
    there is a reason aircraft are stored in the desert. and it is not just that the land is cheap.
    Bill D.
    He did mention the location and climate - Eastern Washington state in the summer, hot and dry

OP here ... I am concerned about rust with my machine cast iron tops and expensive hand tools. My shop is located in the high desert of Northern Arizona where last week we had humidity in the single digits. The monsoon season soon to be upon us will change that dramatically. I had rust develop on some fairly new Lie Nielsen tools and don't want to repeat the problem. So as mentioned before I regularly coat critical bare metal surfaces with Johnson paste wax. It's been effective so far. I was just surprised the other treatments didn't fare so well.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 07-06-2020 at 5:32 PM.

I swear by this stuff: CorrosionX HD. I spray my cast iron every 5 or so years and wip down my tools with a cloth that has been sprayed with the stuff. Have had one can for over 20 years https://www.corrosionx.com/products/...88605620619451

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yep, Johnson's Paste Wax for almost 2 decades here. No rust problems.
    Glenn:

Any issues with the Paste Wax residue getting on the wood and affecting finishes? This concern is why I've avoided it on surfaces like my table saw.

In South Florida, humidity is very obviously high, even with a well air-conditioned shop. Right now I'm sitting in my study, temp is 72 degrees and humidity is 68%. With the central air functioning normally. The shop's humidity will be no better.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-07-2020 at 8:20 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
    Which one protects best from sweat in a un-air conditioned shop in Texas in summer. Almost all of my rust problems are associated with droplets of sweat and you can see literally rust droplets form after a day in the shop (even trying to mop them up when they occur). Someday intend to AC my Garage shop, maybe next year.
    I'm in Texas and have the same problem. I've finally given up, at least as far as trying to keep my cast iron tops looking "new". I clean 'em up best I can, and keep 'em waxed and slick. But they are spotted and discolored in places. I just keep on sawing and ignore the spots.

I guess it's fair to say that rust prevention is relative to where one lives and the level of humidity in that area. I'm in So. Florida by the water where the humidity level rarely falls below 60%-65%. Like Brent, I've also given up on keeping my cast iron tops having a mirror finish and also ignore the spots and and keep on trucking. I spray my jointer and table saw with WD40 then hit with a ROS with 220 or 320 grit to remove what ever stain may be present. Then spray on Boeshield T-9 or CorrosionX HD and wipe it on. The things that seems to help are that I have a mini-split in my 12x18 shed/shop and that I cover the machines with cardboard. The cardboard keeps the the moisture off the top and the bottom of it soaks up the T-9/CorrosionX and keeps it moist(?). I tried the paste wax treatment once and found that it really didn't help with the humidity levels here in So. Florida.

As an aside, I once spilled some vinegar on my table saw top and quickly wiped it off. A couple of minutes later the top had a rust color film on it. I quickly sprayed some WD40 on it, took it off with some 0000 steel wool, and wiped it clean. For some reason the top looked shinier than before. Seems like the vinegar brought the rust to the surface pretty fast. I wonder if using vinegar may be an option to cleaning CI tops.

Camellia oil is a better choice for hand tools.

John

Interesting.

For my hand tools I have used classic motor oil 5W-30. Cheap and works great.

For more than 20 years I had a cast iron table on my table saw but some years ago I changed for another one with cast aluminum table... not so great like cast iron but way better than I was expecting for. Now only my small bandsaw have a cast iron table I maintain with some silicone less wax eventually. Actually I did not care if I have some Mark's of oxidation since it do not compromise the table flatness.

I live 10km from Tropic of Capricorn. Local humidity are around 50% all the year. Air temperature around 25°C at day light. So far, so good...

Johnsons paste wax for the past 4 decades. Works for me. Disclaimer, here in central Calif Valley, low moisture content in air..... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)