Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

6 July 2020

Greetings,
    The first thing I can tell you is that I'm ready for fall weather. I still don't like the heat & humidity of summer. I've been working on The LOML's kitchen pantry and we have it installed. Now I just need to finish making the doors, get them painted, and hang them. I hope to get that done early this week and get back on the truck bed project as well as the 2 dining benches a customer of mine wants. I have been having a minor flair-up of a sciatica nerve pain in my left hip, so I've not been working as hard as I normally do, so I'm slower now than I have been. I'm oncall this week and I need to get the yard work done today. I hope all goes well.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, sciatic nerve pain is a female dog (don’t want to be banned). I hope you’re feeling better soon.
    Lots happening here.
    Got my new Harley LED passing lamps installed and the custom wiring harness, took it to the dealer to set up the alignment - owned the bike since 2009 and the lights are finally set up properly.
    Planed and sanded the workbench, fixed some dings and other damage, and finally installed my “new” front bench vice. I’ve had it for 2+ years (blush).
    Big celebrations for my wife’s 70th birthday. Modern communications are wonderful. The kids and grandchildren live from Los Angeles and Israel, siblings on screen from South Africa, Australia and Israel. Blessing, seeing all the family together, if virtually.
    Our 13 yo foster son (been with us since he was 2 weeks old) has been accepted to a specialized education program designed to help keep him in school instead of quitting. School is hard for him.
    Got my wife’s van updated while getting some minor body damage repaired-with the costs what they are, is there any such thing as “minor damage?” She needed a new front bumper, so we replaced the headlight nacelles and upgraded the lighting to LED main beams.
    Finished my podium project, pictures to follow, and ready to start on a new repair for the Chapel.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Dennis, had a bout of sciatic nerve pain many years ago; not fun. Had PT at the time and it did the trick for me; I still do the stretches.
    I'm with you on the weather. Seems like we spend most of each season wishing for another season!

I got the last batch of office cabinet box parts spray finished and ready for assembly. And I got 48 drawer sides rough sized and rough milled. I'll let those do their thing for a few days while I work on other stuff, and then finish mill them and machine the dovetails. Before doing all the milling I added an Igaging DRO to the jointer/planer. I like that it isn't affected by the backlash in the elevation mechanism like the factory supplied mechanical readout is, so it's easy to dial in a specific thickness. Other than that shop stuff, I've been doing outdoor chores in the mornings before it gets really hot. Calling for mid 90's the next few days, which to me is *hot*.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Dennis, Sorry to hear about your sciata nerve problems. I'll second Aaron's opinion.

Aaron and Paul, it sounds like your moving right along on your respective projects.

I had a small amount of shop time this weekend and spent it working on the new mobile miter saw cabinet. The actual cabinet is constructed and I'm working on the first wing assembly. Rest of the weekend was spent helping son rough wiring /plumbing new master bedroom/bathroom in his house. This coming weekend we need to cut out a bad section of sub floor, repair the joists and re=sheet. Amazingly, some prior owner installed a 2nd floor bathroom and notched several of the 2 x 6 joists really deep. If that insult wasn't enough, something (shower?) leaked so long the joist is rotted. We'll repair that whole mess.

Dennis, I wouldn't count to hard on "fall weather" anymore to cool things off... That said, 'glad your pantry project is moving along!

Busy this past week...moved our older daughter into her first apartment on Monday and continued with that frolic on Tuesday. Completed the remaining insurance paperwork for my mother's affairs and will be able to completely close things out once the final bill from the life-care community arrives. Spent some time in the shop on a guitar project, but more time in the house starting to prepare the room where Professor Dr. SWMBO's office will be moving now that the window work is done. That included some paint touch-up, cleaning, etc. Once she's moved rooms, I can get working on replacing the floor in the other room, fixing some serious plaster issues and installing the other two replacement windows I built recently. I also need to build a credenza for her as well as fabricate a frame for the faux white brick photographic background that will be on the wall behind her for teaching on video again this fall. Most of my coming projects are likely going to be house focused, but I do have a few small client jobs lined up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, so sorry to hear about your sciatica - I have this thankfully only rarely.

On Saturday I got to deliver an entrance table to a dear friend. I mentioned last week that the build was completed (before and after build here). Now the table is in its new home, and received a wonderful reception ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sounds like you're busy Jim, would you have any photographs of the windows you built please?

I've been working on my BBQ island, however it's going slowly as it's 33C here and I'm a wimp.

The stand is welded 1 1/4" hot rolled steel tubing with black paint.

I made the T&G cedar wainscoting on the shaper and cast the concrete countertops.

Almost done now except for the LED under counter lighting strips and dropping the Napoleon BBQ into the opening......Rod.

BBQ Countertop Forms.jpgCedar T&G.jpgConcrete in Place.jpgReady for the next Step.jpgAlmost there.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Sounds like you're busy Jim, would you have any photographs of the windows you built please?
    Not just photos...a whole thread. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....d-Pane-Windows
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No shop time for me. The electric feeder cable from the house panel to the shop sub-panel was not rated for in-ground use so replacement is needed. So its time for some shop clean up with light from the windows.
    Got a friend who is a licensed electrician coming later this week to bury the proper cable and make the hook-ups and get me back in business. I am going to help with some of the grunt work to speed things along.
    I had just machined some scraps in preparation for some cutting boards when the juice went out. Then on to a tiled kitchen backsplash project. No rest for the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ow, impressive, thank you very much Jim.........regards, Rod.