Thread: Shop cart with a flip top

Shop cart with a flip top

This cart came up for sale, $25, online locally. I saw it too late, someone else bought it.
    I'm intrigued by it. A simple idea but I've never seen one before.

The first two photos are of the cart that was for sale, the third one I think must be a screengrab the seller took to show a typical use of the cart.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 10.10.47 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 10.11.00 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 10.11.49 AM.jpg

Has anyone used a cart like this? And did you find it a convenient contraption?
    Mark

Various mags have done variations of this, usually called flip top tool stand or the like. Handy for saving space with less frequently used tools. I've seen one with flip up extension wings as well.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I made one a few years ago. I reference the originator in the video.

Here's some dimensions on my build

There are quite a few examples of these out there in magazines and YouTube. One of the best designs on YouTube that I've see is on Fisher's Shop. He seems to have solved how to handle the cords when it flips around.
    I have quite a few benchtop tools, so a couple of years ago I built a flip-top bench from Wood Mag #220 (picture below). It's a beast and while I like the smaller footprint it provides, I'll probably build individual ones.
    Flip-top Tool Bench - Wood 220.jpg
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Blog Entries
    A Flip-top was on of the best things I ever did in my original shop. Great mobility and space savings. Mine started with a CMS and a planer IIRC. It evolved through sanders and other items. Dad now uses it for a DW735 and a Ridgid spindle sander.

Flip-top 3.jpgFlip-top 2.jpgFlip-top 1.jpgfilpping.jpg

I made one side of the "top" removable to allow me to change the t-nut pattern when I changed tools. This is one time I thought ahead as I changed it several times over the years.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-06-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I made one for my planer on one side & oscillating belt sander on the other. At the bottom is a drawer for holding the sander belts, sleeves & accessories. It was well worth building. There are about a million videos on how to build one.

Mine holds my planer, but nothing else on the other side. I sized it so that in the "down" position it fits under my table saw wing to save space. Then I put screws on the side to hold my extra blades and tablesaw wrenches.

Well then it seems they are pretty popular. How'd I not know this?

I built one. My disc sander is on one side, and my mortiser is on the other. It works very well and saves a ton of space.

I actually was thinking of building another one recently with my oscillating sander on one side. But there is no way to bolt that down, so it was a non-starter.

Build one. You'll like it, and it's a nice project.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    There are quite a few examples of these out there in magazines and YouTube. One of the best designs on YouTube that I've see is on Fisher's Shop.
    I’ve built a couple modeled on Glenn’s, and I like them. What I especially like about Fisher’s design is that the latching mechanism and power cord management seem to make rotating tools quicker.

I built one years ago, but my machines grew up and don’t fit anymore ;-)