Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening Stone Grit enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Chang View Post
    He does add another bevel on the 16000 stone. You can see him do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLIEoz00v0#t=19m50s
    You have any idea what the benefit is of doing it this way? Why not just sharpen with the 1k stone and get a 25 degree bevel then do a secondary bevel with the 16K.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Johan and Welcome to the Creek.

Interesting your first post is a sharpening thread. Sharpening seems to be a subject upon which everyone has an opinion.

One thought for consideration, "the products Rob Cosman recommends" are often products in which he has a financial interest. This is often the case with some 'professionals' in any trade.

For my on purposes water stones used to be my Holy Grail of sharpening. Mostly a 1000 or 2000 grit stone to start. Followed by a 4000 and an 8000. Stropping was optional. If a blade was in really bad shape coarser grit would be supplied by abrasive sheets. For my way of working the 800 and coarser stones wore away too quickly. One point is to not wait to sharpen until an edge gets frustratingly dulled.

Because my shop isn't heated in the winter water would freeze. For this an accumulation of oilstones were used to sharpen. Funny that years ago oilstones just didn't seem to work for me. After learning to sharpen with water stones the oilstones started working a whole lot better.

One test of a chisel's sharpness is paring end grain on a soft wood like fir or pine. Mortising is a lot of end grain cutting. One of my recently acquired chisels was sharpened on oilstones and cut end grain quite well:

Attachment 436255

The chips laying on the work were pared off with the aid of a mallet. There were actually some pared off by hand at the end of the mortise. This chisel is great, it actually held its edge very well throughout cutting a 2-1/4" X 4" (~55mm X 100mm) mortise.

BTW, this chisel has a single bevel at 25º.

jtk
    Yea It's a subject with many ways to do it! That's why I just went with the Rob system. I have plenty to try and understand thus far anyway. If I have bad results I have to try something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Carefully consider why you need each stone. Maybe you do not need all of the stones when you begin. Are you starting with sharp blades?

I started with sandpaper on a flat plate (such as glass). Eventually, sandpaper gets expensive, but so are plates. I use a hollow grind, so I spend much more time on finer grits than with lower grits. I cannot comment on what you need if you use a flat bevel and do a full grind each time. Since you are talking about micro-bevels, perhaps you do need the coarser stones, but you could also do that with sand paper; or use sand paper for the higher grits.

Can you use a strop rather than the 16K stone? I like my 16K stone, just so we are clear, but, you might be able to make a strop for less than the 16K stone.

In the long run, the stones will cost you less money I think, but, if you want to try it out to see if it matters, you might find that for much of what you do, a 6K followed by a strop will work just fine.

Saying that, I have 2K, 4K, 5K, 6K, 8K, 16K, a bunch of diamond stones, Arkansas Stones, etc. I just gave away a 500 and a 1K since I pretty much never used them. They were fancy stones that worked well, I just don't like soaking my stones before I use them, which is why I use the Shapton stones. Spray and go! But that is what I like to do, no comment on what you will like and what will work for you.

My local woodcraft has a sharpening area setup where you can try some of their diamonds and sharpen something to try it out. Or they did last I checked, no idea if it is still there, but, nice to be able to give it a go to see what you think.
    Sadly I have no shop close by, and It's not really common where I live, that you get the cance to try stuff out. I will start with mostly brand new stuff, and hopefully in time when I learn how to sharpen correctly. Take a go at fixing some of my grandpas old tools. And to be honest, I have no clue what I need I just went with the "Rob system" because, I felt like he explained it well, and I don't want to dig in any further into sharpening than I already done(YET!!). I just wanted to be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just my experience with DMT over the last 17 years . . . First, I will say that my DMT stones have outlasted any Trend or EZ Lap stones that I tried, wore out and tossed. Second, coarser grits are difficult in diamond stones. Although I have a DiaSharp Extra Coarse I use it rarely. For coarse work I use a grinder or sand paper on glass/marble depending what I am doing.

For Coarse (~300grit) through Extra Extra Fine (`8000 grit) I use DMT DiaSharp stones in 8". I started with the 11.5" stones and have a few grits of those. They are handy for narrow edges and just a few swipes on each grit does the job. The 8" are wider and allow for things like my 2"+ plane irons and such.

The DuoSharp products seem like a good idea for dual-grit stones but the Fine/Extra Fine combo is the only one that really makes sense to me for sharpening chisels, planes and the like. We have to remember that there are folks out there that sharpen other tools, woodworking and not. The products made for these folks are not as useful for what I do.

In short, DMT is my go-to, Trend and EZ Lap are off my list, I have not tried Atoma and other recent players and the full-surface abrasive DiaSharp format is my preferred. Other opinions will abound. I just wanted to share what I have found to work for me long term.
    Thanks, feels good that I went with the DMT after all.
    So I ordered a 10" because Amazon could not send the 8" to me for some reason? And the 8" from US would land at a steeper price than the 10" from EU for me. Corase/X-Fine

Thanks again for all the helpfull replies guys! Really appreciate it!

DMT normally dependable ans easy to work with...
    Jerry

Before you buy the other water stones, give the X-Fine diamond stone a try to see how sharp things are with that. You probably want something finer, but you want to see if you can see improvement with those first. You can see if things get sharper if you have a piece of sandpaper that is high grit and a flat surface for it to sit.

How will you make sure that you have the correct angle? Will you free hand? I might have missed that discussion.

Johan, you may want to consider simpler and more economical methods of sharpening than those advocated in youtube tutorials that may be also infomercials in disguise. A wood worker called Paul Sellers puts out a lot of decent advice and you don't feel like hes trying to sell you something.

Take a look at this video on chisel sharpening, https://youtu.be/GN4yr7vp4I4.

Here's his opinion on sharpening systems where you are advised to go to very high grit levels, https://youtu.be/UbAo4RpM7oM, https://paulsellers.com/2012/09/ques...pening-stones/

Here's a blog post on using inexpensive diamond plates, I got a set and I'm waiting for them in the mail.
    https://paulsellers.com/2020/03/edge...ning-under-10/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Before you buy the other water stones, give the X-Fine diamond stone a try to see how sharp things are with that. You probably want something finer, but you want to see if you can see improvement with those first. You can see if things get sharper if you have a piece of sandpaper that is high grit and a flat surface for it to sit.

How will you make sure that you have the correct angle? Will you free hand? I might have missed that discussion.
    I will start with a Guide, that looks similiar to the Lie Nielsen one. But it's alot cheaper. And then when I feel comftarable move over too free hand. If I need to redo a real bad edge, I will use my friends tormek, to get the first 25 degree bevel going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Johan, you may want to consider simpler and more economical methods of sharpening than those advocated in youtube tutorials that may be also infomercials in disguise. A wood worker called Paul Sellers puts out a lot of decent advice and you don't feel like hes trying to sell you something.

Here's his opinion on sharpening systems where you are advised to go to very high grit levels, https://youtu.be/UbAo4RpM7oM, https://paulsellers.com/2012/09/ques...pening-stones/

Here's a blog post on using inexpensive diamond plates, I got a set and I'm waiting for them in the mail.
    https://paulsellers.com/2020/03/edge...ning-under-10/
    Yea I recently come across Paul Sellers, he seems great. I already bought the stuff, so will go with this for now. I will for sure look at Paul Sellers input in the future, he seem very keen on helping the total beginner(That's me), and not make it to complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Axelsson View Post
    I will start with a Guide, that looks similiar to the Lie Nielsen one. But it's a lot cheaper. And then when I feel comfortable move over too free hand. If I need to redo a real bad edge, I will use my friends tormek, to get the first 25 degree bevel going.
    If you can use your friends Tormek for the initial grind, that changes a lot of things. I have a buddy here who comes over when he needs to sharpen. We throw it onto the Tormek and establish the initial hollow grind. The hollow grind makes it easy to free hand. Also, if you throw it there first, then you do NOT need the rougher diamond stones. I generally go directly from the Tormek to say a 5K or 6K stone and from there to the 16K stone; assuming that the back is flat and ready to go (of course).

So again, if you already have a hollow grind, free hand is much easier than without the hollow grind. Just saying.

Okay, mostly I will also get new tools, so they should be decent already. Glad to hear it should not be a huge problem. Also I got the guide to start out with, to get a feel for things. I think It should be fine!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Johan Axelsson View Post
    Okay, mostly I will also get new tools, so they should be decent already. Glad to hear it should not be a huge problem. Also I got the guide to start out with, to get a feel for things. I think It should be fine!
    Get some nice wood and have fun blunting edges on it!

Oak, chestnut or cherry might be difficult to get in Scandinavia, but you may be able to find some nice beech. Birch and spruce arenÂ’t as fun.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes we forget where a conversation begins:

So I'm new into woodworking
    My thoughts on someone "new into woodworking" is to keep it as simple as possible.

A wood worker called Paul Sellers puts out a lot of decent advice and you don't feel like hes trying to sell you something.

Paul Sellers usually doesn't get a lot of praise from me. This is a decent video on setting up some chisels. It is much better than his convex bevel method of sharpening.

Posted by Johan Axelsson
    I have to watch the Video again. So what you are saying is he bassicly have 3 bevels? One 25 degree, a second that he goes for with the 1000 and the third he goes straight to 16k?
    Even 4 if you count the back bevel created on the back, with the ruler trick.
    My advise would be to work on getting a good, useable edge on tools before experimenting with a secondary bevel let alone multiple bevels and back bevels.

Especially on a chisel, one does not want a back bevel or to use the "ruler trick."

One of the basic skills of sharpening is repeatability. Being able to produce a sharp edge without a secondary or tertiary bevel is difficult enough on its own.

With a single bevel, if there is a problem, it will be easier to determine what isn't working than to have a chisel with four different bevel angles that won't cut wood.

Also I got the guide to start out with, to get a feel for things.
    This should get you to a useable edge quickly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sorry to throw in another tool, but my most useful sharpening tool, besides the stones, is an optivisor with an additional loupe. When I can see what I am doing, sharpening becomes easy.

Blog Entries
    When I can see what I am doing, sharpening becomes easy.
    That worked great in my younger years. With advanced age on the eyes a lot of my sharpening is done by brail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That worked great in my younger years. With advanced age on the eyes a lot of my sharpening is done by brail.

jtk
    Jim,

Ain't that the truth. Bottom line if it looks sharp and feels sharp it is sharp. The kicker is knowing what sharp looks like and feels like. Same old story about frogs and kissing.

P.S. To add another factor: Diamond stones are good for grinding but natural stones work better for honing and polishing.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Andrieux View Post
    Even 4 if you count the back bevel created on the back, with the ruler trick.
    One note, chisels are maintained with flat "backs".

The Charlesworth "ruler trick" is for plane blades.
    Japanese planes have a relieved back that this emulates.

...... Being able to produce a sharp edge without a secondary or tertiary bevel is difficult enough on its own.

With a single bevel, if there is a problem, it will be easier to determine what isn't working than to have a chisel with four different bevel angles that won't cut wood.

This should get you to a useable edge quickly.

jtk
    Makes alot of sense!

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    Sorry to throw in another tool, but my most useful sharpening tool, besides the stones, is an optivisor with an additional loupe. When I can see what I am doing, sharpening becomes easy.
    Yea I've seen some recommend those haha. Will try my own first, not that "old" and repaired with operation not long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    One note, chisels are maintained with flat "backs".

The Charlesworth "ruler trick" is for plane blades.
    Japanese planes have a relieved back that this emulates.
    Seen those, look great!