Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Recommendation for Epilog Laser "Air Curtain" Pump

Your Recommendation for Epilog Laser "Air Curtain" Pump

Hi, All.

I'm relatively new around here, and completely new to laser cutting.

Almost a year ago I lucked into a ridiculously good deal on an almost-new (total of 30 hours on the machine) Epilog Zing Laser. This is their entry-level machine, rated at 30 watts.

I've had such a busy year that I'm just now setting it up. I'm almost done with setup, except in the owner's manual I just read about needing a small pump to push air through what Epilog calls its "Air Curtain." Excuse my newbie status, but I'm not sure if this is a generic laser term or a term Epilog uses in-house.

Here's their description from the owner's manual:

The air curtain is used for vector cutting applications where there is a need to keepcombustible gases away from the cutting surface. This helps to reduce charring,scorching and flaming when vector cutting materials such as wood, rubber, acrylic,and other flammable materials. The air curtain directs a constant stream of air acrossthe material surface at the point of burn, directing the air both down and back towardsthe exhaust vent.Vector cutting should never be performed without the use of the air curtain.Air Curtain PumpThe air curtain pump can either be purchasedthrough your Epilog representative or you canconnect your existing air supply into the žinch (6 mm) receptacle at the back of themachine (60 PSI max).The Air Curtain should always be activatedduring vector cutting operations to reduce the risk of fire.

A good buddy of mine who has worked with laser a lot says the air flowing through the pump should be very clean, so it is advisable to not use a standard air compressor.

I already have a very strong exhaust fan, but I will be cutting mainly plastic, not wood, so I would want the air curtain running as well.

Does Harbor Freight sell anything that would work? And if not, could someone perhaps post some links to pumps that would work. I'm sure the Epilog branded pump is two to three times the cost of what's out there.

Thank You,
    sm
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 07-05-2020 at 7:45 PM.

I've heard of people using an aquarium pump and tubing positioned @ focal point to blow back "smoke" toward the exhaust. They seemed to think it works for them.
    I have an inline exhaust that moves lotsa air.
    Haven't really found anything to keep smells down (leather, plastics...)

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    I've heard of people using an aquarium pump and tubing positioned @ focal point to blow back "smoke" toward the exhaust. They seemed to think it works for them.
    I have an inline exhaust that moves lotsa air.
    Haven't really found anything to keep smells down (leather, plastics...)

Bruce
    Bruce, thanks. One possibility.

I also have a very powerful inline exhaust that really rips. However, it's possible I might be lasering Acrylic, which is specifically known to be flammable, so I want to cover all my bases.

Yes, I hear both leather and Acrylic smell pretty awful. I suppose I'll find out.

Thanks So Much,
    Scott

The "air curtain" that Epilog uses on their low end machines is not the same as the typical air assist that most lasers have. You can use any standard air supply up to 30 psi (per Epilog).

You'll get much better performance by adding a proper air assist that shoots the air right into where the laser is cutting. Like in this picture, it is the curved tube;

legend-lens.jpg
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    The "air curtain" that Epilog uses on their low end machines is not the same as the typical air assist that most lasers have. You can use any standard air supply up to 30 psi (per Epilog).

You'll get much better performance by adding a proper air assist that shoots the air right into where the laser is cutting. Like in this picture, it is the curved tube;

legend-lens.jpg
    Rich, apparently I lack permission to view photos. Could I PM you my email address?

Thanks,
    sm

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Rich, apparently I lack permission to view photos. Could I PM you my email address?
    I don't think you can view photos or PM without becoming a contributor. Becoming a contributor is very low cost (six dollars!) and the value of knowledge on this site is... well, there is nowhere else that has so many experts on lasers - not to mention all the other areas of SawmillCreek.

You can find the photo on Epilog's website, but I think that six bucks a year is pretty darned reasonable.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 07-05-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I don't think you can view photos or PM without becoming a contributor. Becoming a contributor is very low cost (six dollars!) and the value of knowledge on this site is... well, there is nowhere else that has so many experts on lasers - not to mention all the other areas of SawmillCreek.

You can find the photo on Epilog's website, but I think that six bucks a year is pretty darned reasonable.
    Rick, yikes, I had no idea it was that cheap. I just contributed $20 and I'm all set.

I'd still like to hear what I might use to move the air. I'm trying to hold price down right now, but I'm open to looking at everything.

Thanks,
    sm

I would recommend an aquarium air pump. Search ebay for commercial ones.

The normal pumps that come with Chinese lasers are pretty much identical to the aquarium pumps in metal housings that are listed for $60-$80. My trotec actually has an air pump that looks almost exactly like these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post

The normal pumps that come with Chinese lasers are pretty much identical to the aquarium pumps in metal housings that are listed for $60-$80. My trotec actually has an air pump that looks almost exactly like these as well.
    Chris, thanks, that does sound like a good way to go.

I'll find one and probably post a photo and a link for people too see before purchasing. .

sm

aquarium pump.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post

Excuse my ignorance, but I assume the pump I'm seeking is like this one -- that is, I want an EXTERNAL pump that does NOT submerge in the tank, correct?

Like This?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 07-06-2020 at 5:12 PM.

Something like that should work okay. Actually, maybe not for the air curtain. The air curtain has several air holes so it might need to have a higher airflow to be effective. If you were to add a proper air assist and ditch the air curtain then that pump should work okay.

It seems like the recommendations that are being given here are not taking into account that you do not have a normal air assist like most of us use. Here is a picture of Epilog's "air curtain";

zing-air-curtain.jpg

No, you do not want it to be submerged. I am not aware of any air pumps that are meant to be submerged, the output is commonly submerged for aerating fish tanks or ponds though.

I use a Gast 71R twin cylinder compressor (no tank), the same type as you would find in those quarter operated air pumps at gas stations, but those are a few hundred dollars.

Gast 71R.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 07-06-2020 at 7:31 PM.
    Gerber Sabre 408

12. That’s the pump I was talking about. But after seeing Rich’s photo, I had no idea about what air curtain was. Might need something else.

Boy, I'm having a heckuva time finding a pump for application. The closest I've found (and may have to go with) is this HF. Ideally I'd like something much smaller and quieter.HF small compressor.jpg
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1-6-hp...sor-93657.html

Will this work my application, at least temporarily, until I can afford a better one? My cutting and engraving work will be very light for the first 3-6 months.

Thank You,
    Scott

I bought a California air 1 gallon compressor that runs really quite and only $100

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I bought a California air 1 gallon compressor that runs really quite and only $100
    Thanks, will check it out. About what size is it?

sm